Tangilicious Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Certainly looks like something I would definitely like! 

I've never used a melted butter recipe as here. You might consider introducing a bit of baking powder mixed in with soft butter lathered outside the skin, again a few hours prior. Plus additional butter, alone, in underneath.  About 1/4 tsp or more of the powder depending on the size of your bird. It will work with the salt to enhance your crisping as well as browning to some extent. Usually what I'll do with turkeys is pierce skin a dozen times the size of a toothpick adding halved pear/fruit slices in the cavity. Initially beginning with higher temps if, that sounds like something you would want to try... What kind of wood will you be using? I would like to try this one out with apricot, maple and a touch of alder.

Have a tangilicious holiday! 

Last edited:
Certainly looks like something I would definitely like! 

I've never used a melted butter recipe as here. You might consider introducing a bit of baking powder mixed in with soft butter lathered outside the skin, again a few hours prior. Plus additional butter, alone, in underneath.  About 1/4 tsp or more of the powder depending on the size of your bird. It will work with the salt to enhance your crisping as well as browning to some extent. Usually what I'll do with turkeys is pierce skin a dozen times the size of a toothpick adding halved pear/fruit slices in the cavity. Initially beginning with higher temps if, that sounds like something you would want to try... What kind of wood will you be using? I would like to try this one out with apricot, maple and a touch of alder.

Have a tangilicious holiday! 
Those woods sound good all i have available is apple and alder. On page two, the recipe says to avoid cherry becuase it darkens the skin too fast.

Starting with a bone in turkey breast rubbed with ¼ cup of powered Tang and then with a poultry rub of my own concoction. Then into the fridge overnight to let the skin dry.

Next morning, the new Maverick ET-73 came out of  the box and was set up with no problems.

I  preheated my new MES30. It runs 10% hot, so a setting of 216 deg gave me a steady temp of 242 deg. While preheating I loaded up the AMNPS with apple pellets and put it in the smoker make sure the pellets where dry.

The AMNPS was lit at both ends and put into the mail box mod. The turkey breast came out of the fridge, got a coating of olive oil and in to the smoker.

MES 30    800 Watts.           Set temp: 216     Probe temp: 240

Hour                       Meat Temp              Smoker Temp

In                                41                           242

1                                 82                            247

2                                 129                          235

3                                 156                          240

20 min                         161                          242

The procedure was from Jeff,   http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-2010-smoked-bone-in-turkey-breast.html

Bottom line; next time more or stronger smoke. One row on the AMNPS caught fire and one went out. More practice is needed. Flavor; the meat was well seasoned and very moist. I didn’t care for the Tang flavor It gets  left out next time although it gave the skin beautiful  color.

It was OK for my first try.  Better with practice. Thanks for looking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky