Taking the plunge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyp

Original poster
May 7, 2006
I took the plunge and ordered a gas ECB today. I also stopped at wally world and looked at briskets The ones they had were cryovac packed, thick and wide at one end and narrower and thinner (pointed) on the other end. Is this a "flat" or what? Is this what you use? Doesn't the pointy end get done quicker than the thick end? How do you take care of that? Any help is appreciated! :)

Johnny, what is the weight on that brisket? You may have what is known as a "Packer" brisket. The packer has a lot of fat and two pieces of brisket meat, the flat and the point. It takes quite a bit of trimming of the fat and knowing where the seam is that connects the flat and point to separate the two cuts. Most folks will smoke the whole thing and remove the fat and separate the flat and the point afterwards. Type in 'brisket' in the Search box in the lower left of the Forum page and click 'Search'. There will be a number of threads on briskets that are all well worth reading.

Earl, they were all about 10 pounds. I tried flexing them, but the one that flexed the most had a bad cryovac seal. The others were similar, but I could tell there were differences.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky