Taking Dixie Grilled Chicken into the realm of smoking??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rob27502

Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I've got a favorite recipe for chicken that I love called Dixie Grilled Chicken (google it, there's many different versions all over the web but I can share mine if anyone really wants it..).  But the keyword in the recipe is "grilled" as the higher direct heat makes the skin nice and crispy. Of course, you have to ride it a little so as not to have it done on the outside and raw on the inside.

So here's my question - have any of you taken a grilled recipe and changed it up for smoking? My guess is that I would need to sear the meat first via grilling, and then put it on for a long smoke. What else do I need to account for when changing a grilled recipe to a smoked one?

This recipe is one of my all time faves and the prospect of adding smoked flavor to it has my mouth watering! Thanks for the help!

icon_cool.gif

Now I guess you can sear a chicken heck nobody is gonna stop you. Now I have never grilled a whole yard bird but I have done it pieces too many times thou. Now I/ we smoke chicken at a higher then normal temp for the same reason. We want to crisp the skin and make it more eatable.  Now I smoke my birds at anywhere from 275° to 325° and then you just take them to 165° in the thinckest part of the breast or 180° in the thigh meat.

I'm with mballi on this one.  Poultry doesn't benefit from the low temps, so if you smoke them hot, you can still get some nice skin going on without sacrificing juicy meat underneath. 

My SmokinTex only goes to 250 top end so that is what I smoke them at - I take them to 162 then finish them for a couple of minutes on the grill to crisp the skin and it works well for me.

My SmokinTex only goes to 250 top end so that is what I smoke them at - I take them to 162 then finish them for a couple of minutes on the grill to crisp the skin and it works well for me.
Same here , My mes only gets to around 260° Smoke first then finish on the pit or oven

If you can smoke at 300 then the skin will be crispy. If not just finish on a grill for a few minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky