Takii umami powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
Anyone ever try this stuff ..taste pretty good I'm thinking it will go good on brisket rub ..it is a little salty .

Reactions: Jonok
I think that it is pretty much “naturally derived” (from mushrooms) MSG. I’m curious about your results, because I never considered including MSG (from any source) as a component in a rub, but it makes a lot of sense.
Please keep us informed!

Reactions: kdfiter
Been using MSG since I was a kid. A container of Accent sits with Salt and Pepper, next to my Stove, to cook with.
There are a few companies putting out Umami Powder. Mostly Salt with Powdered Shiitake or other shroom. Some add Soy Sauce Powder, Ground Kombu, the Kelp that MSG was first extracted from, Garlic and Onion powder. Just get Accent from your grocery or order Aji-No-Moto MSG, the ORIGINAL and way cheaper, online...JJ

Normally on my beef I just use s.p.o.g I'm thinking on my next cook skip the onion powder and garlic and go a little light on the salt and give the takii powder a try ..just kind of wondering why I never see it in bbq rub recipes..7nless they just list it as msg

Yep...I use the heck out of MSG. I love umami!

+1; Very much a secret weapon. I don't really use rubs but inject. .25-.5% MSG of weight of meat. I am with CheffJJ, also try an asian market, 1lb is like $3. Also pickup some good soy. I prefer japanese and is waaay less salty. Mind blowing difference.

Reactions: jokensmoken
just remember that MSG has 60% the sodium of equal weight of table salt....so multiply the grams of MSG by .6 and that is the equivalent amount of salt you need to subtract when seasoning.

A Chef in LA opened Umami Burger about 9 years ago. His Secret Umami Powder was sprinkled on the burgers. They were a big hit. Chef started selling his Powder, $15 for a 1oz bottle...Ouch! For a couple years he was the only game in town until word got out that his Magic was Shiitake Powder and SPOG.
I developed a combo of Umami rich ingredients that a blind tasting with friends and family thought was deeper, and multidimensional rather than one Umami note. Unfortunately we hit really hard times and there was no capital to get started. It would have been just the 2 of us competing. Fast forward a few years and all kind of folks are selling a Umami Seasoning that is based on Shiitake and Salt, PLUS. I have not gotten the impression that the whole Umami thing, in the US, was more than couple of year Flash in the Pan. Like you said, Kdfitter, Umami Mixes don't show up in recipes on Forums, Youtube, Magazines or anywhere else. THE UMAMI sensation will come up on cooking shows but even that is occasional. The topic is based on the natural ingredients the Chef is using, Parm Chz, Tomato Paste, Roasted Mushrooms, but NEVER a word of this or that companies Magic Mushroom Powder...JJ

So this is the stuff I bought ..it is pretty salty..do you think I should cut my salt by half and if I do really like it I'm wondering if there might be cheaper brand out there ..I see they sell shiitake powder in bulk .not sure if it's the same mixture as this stuff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190320-184905_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190320-184905_Samsung Internet.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
There are only a handful of bulk ingredient distributors that sell to manufacturers in 400lb+ minimums. Then there others that break down further to like 25lb cases, bilk Spice Shops. Then those Spice shop sell by the ounce. Even Walmart ha 1,4,8oz jars of Shiitake Powder, " For that Umami Flavor. "
Bottom line....It's ALL the Same Stuff. It will Clump and lose flavor over time so only buy what you will use in 6 months or so...JJ

I dry the oyster mushrooms I pick when I hit the mother load...some days we can pick 50~75# in no time. Pick them in late jan. early feb. when the rains come and lot of fog with the warming temps. I use it in everything....

Been using MSG since I was a kid. A container of Accent sits with Salt and Pepper, next to my Stove, to cook with.
There are a few companies putting out Umami Powder. Mostly Salt with Powdered Shiitake or other shroom. Some add Soy Sauce Powder, Ground Kombu, the Kelp that MSG was first extracted from, Garlic and Onion powder. Just get Accent from your grocery or order Aji-No-Moto MSG, the ORIGINAL and way cheaper, online...JJ

When using Accent as a rub ingredient, do you use it instead of salt, or do you add in addition to the salt? For example, if I was just going to use SP rub, could one just use Accent vs salt?

Thx

I still add Salt to whatever I add Accent to. You really only use a small amount, a dusting, compared to a Tablespoon or two of Rub...JJ

I also use salt with accent but much prefer injecting it over in a rub.

pugsbrew pugsbrew not sure if I ever said anything but I am in Ohio, long time homebrewer/BJCP, AND pug owner.

just remember that MSG has 60% the sodium of equal weight of table salt....so multiply the grams of MSG by .6 and that is the equivalent amount of salt you need to subtract when seasoning.

My brain is apparently fritzing out enough today that I have a question about this. I'm gonna try a SPOG+MSG concoction tonight, so for a ratio of 1-1-1-1 for the SPOG, to adjust to with msg would it be .4-1-1-1-.6(MSG)?

Nope, it would be .6/.4/1/1/1. Why should garlic have to make up a piece of salt? :emoji_astonished:

I put the MSG measurement at the end and then had parentheses around it. So just to be clear

.4 Salt
1 pepper
1 onion
1 garlic
.6 MSG

or

.6 Salt
1 pepper
1 onion
1 garlic
.4 MSG

So are you figuring all this out by grams or tablespoons..last time I made a beef rub I went 3/4 cup of kosher to 1/4 cup of umami powder ..then half cup of pepper for a brisket I did ..it was a little salty but not bad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky