TailGator Pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob-bqn

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2005
Texas
We loaded this thing on my Jeep this afternoon and took a few pictures to share.

Wow, this thing is heavy! Gator don't build no cheap stuff.
wink.gif
It took everything me and my two overgrown teenage sons have to maneuver this beast. Those boys at Gator Pit must be in pretty good shape to do this every day. I can already feel the burn. :lol:

Here it is pictured on the trailer, on the Jeep, and on the ground:

Haven't used it yet but I'm sure that's not far down the road. :D I've had the need to take a smoker/grill with me a couple times this year and used other equipment that I have because my cargo rack configuration wasn't right, got that fixed now. 8)

Hey Bob,

I don't know much about this brand of smoker, but, I sure would like to take this picture to deer camp 8)

The only problem would be that I spent all my time cooking instead of hunting :oops:

Bob, you show up at Texas tailgate parties with that on your hitch and everyone will bow down and pay you proper homage. I can imagine the Que that you could pull off with that sweet unit. And since you're in Texas, that would have to be brisket, right? :mrgreen: I'm going to have to look into getting a hitch for my van and paying them Gator fellers a visit! Does the stand come with it or did you have to order that separately?

The stand comes with it. I don't think anyone would want to haul their pit around all the time.

I've got to rig something up in the barn like a block & tackle pulley system or something to transfer this puppy from one configuration to another. I'm really "feeling" it today. :oops: :lol:

Brisket is always fair game in my territory. 8)

Cajun, feel free to use the picture. :D Here is the link to the manufacture's site http://www.gatorpit.net/tailgate_pits.htm . They make portables, back yard pits & grills, & trailer rigs, basically anything you can dream up.

Have I mentioned this thing is heavy!!!

Nice! I guess I'm a little confused as to why someone would rather have this set-up, as apposed to just having a pull behind? As you stated it's awful heavy to move from one configuration to another. also after reaching your destination, its permanent on your vehicle unless you bring the stand? Now I'm not knockin' it......but IMO it doesn't seem practical.

Tommy, I do have the pull-behind too, but it's so big and I don't want or need to fire the big one up for smaller cooks. This can go to parks, campsites, tailgating parties and a lot of other places that the big trailer is just not practical. If we grill burgers or dogs at the church I don't have to strap on my non-portable grill.

jeepgrill9tf.jpg

It most likely would have to stay on the vehicle if you didn't tote along the legs but the cargo rack makes them easy to bring. You just need some good help.

Another consideration is the TailGator isn't likely to be stolen off the back of your vehicle. :lol:

I showed this post to the Bride while I had a big ol' grin on my face; she just rolled her eyes, shook her head and mumbled "What will it be next?" :P It still hasn't dawned on her that the van doesn't have a trailer hitch (YET!! :mrgreen: )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky