Tacos El Pastor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
This is for those that like it hot and spicy.

It started with just over 4Lb of pork shoulder.

el_pastor_001.jpg

For the marinade boil a pot of water, take it off the heat and soak 4 California chili pods, 4 Guajillo chili pods and half a white onion for 20 minutes. I cut off the tops and de seeded the pods first.

While that is happening I sliced the pork into 1/4' to 1/2" slices.

7/31 edit: added the garlic

Then into the blender
The chilis
the 1/2 onion
1 Whole bulb of garlic
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 tablespoons Mexican Oregano
1.75 Oz Achiote paste
Juice from 1 orange
Juice from 1 lime
1 cup fresh pineapple

Blend it well

el_pastor_002.jpg

Marinate the pork overnight.

el_pastor_003.jpg

I cooked it on the propane vertical rotisserie.

el_pastor_004.jpg

This will make lots of tacos.

el_pastor_005.jpg

Oh yes, I said tacos!

el_pastor_006.jpg

Last edited:
OK I was still up at 1:30am and was getting very hungry. I made two more tacos and added the cooked pineapple. They just went from a 9.5 to a perfect 10. The combination of the spicy meat with the sweet pineapple took the taste buds to the extreme.

el_pastor_007.jpg

Great job on those takos Chris. They look and sound scrumptious.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
that looks outstanding!! Any other cooker you could recommended to replicate this on? I don't own a vertical rotisserie I LOVE TACOS!! thanks for sharing

that looks outstanding!! Any other cooker you could recommended to replicate this on? I don't own a vertical rotisserie I LOVE TACOS!! thanks for sharing
You can cook it on any BBQ or smoker. The rotisserie just makes it easier since you can slice it from the outside in as it scorches the surface.

For round three I fired up the smoker to make some corn ribs and tomatillo salsa. The ribs were covered in EVOO, chili powder and pepper then placed in the smoker along with tomatillos, jalapenos and an onion.

Once out of the smoker the ribs were painted with sriracha mayo, feta cheese and cilantro.

el_pastor_008.jpg

Third time was the charm. The fourth might be even better.

el_pastor_009.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mneeley490
OMG Chris!! I know I'm late to the game but these look and sound outstanding!! As much as we love Mexican themed food around here, I can certainly see this getting done. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky