Taco Meat Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
We eat a lot of New Mexican style taco meat that is usually ground pork, roasted green Chile and ground red (Chimayo) seasoned with onions, garlic, chicken bouillon and cumin With diced potatoes Cooked together.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-mexico-taco-meat.309024/

So I’m working on a sausage in this style. So far it’s delicious, but still developing.
36B4E3A6-2B22-48DF-8B7C-03D7F4E45D9F.jpeg

A346FC67-C644-4937-9E55-3B33415395A0.jpeg

For those of us who are nowhere in the same league as SmokinEdge, I find the Costco Taco Seasoning gives a great "commercial-taco-like" flavor to about any meat (or sauce or soup or...) and is one of my favorite go-to spices, esp for indoor pan-cookin'.
Lawry's is good too, but it's hard to find in the large size.

That looks sensational. I went to undergraduate school in new mexico and loved the food. I'm really new to sausage making, can one really put potatoes in sausage? Awesome idea.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That looks sensational. I went to undergraduate school in new mexico and loved the food. I'm really new to sausage making, can one really put potatoes in sausage? Awesome idea.
The Swedes do, why not others? Heck yeah it works great.

Reactions: Nefarious
I just looked at the taco link, looks good as well.

When you put potatoes in the sausage I assume you grind them just like the pork? I look forward to seeing the instructions.
Correct, usually the potatoes and meat are ground through a 3/8” plate. I wanted to stuff my taco meat as close to original as possible, so I par boiled the diced potatoes, chilled then added to the sausage batter. To keep things flowing in the stuffer I used beaten eggs mixed in. This slicked everything up and went through the stuffer easy. My thought is to eat this sausage with pinto beans. Or wrapped in a tortilla with beans and garnish.

Reactions: Steve H and DougE
Correct, usually the potatoes and meat are ground through a 3/8” plate. I wanted to stuff my taco meat as close to original as possible, so I par boiled the diced potatoes, chilled then added to the sausage batter. To keep things flowing in the stuffer I used beaten eggs mixed in. This slicked everything up and went through the stuffer easy. My thought is to eat this sausage with pinto beans. Or wrapped in a tortilla with beans and garnish.
I'm about to get busy making some regular sausage, I can't drive to go to store for supplies, but next week :). These will have to wait till I get some more experience.

Sausage is my main lunch food group wrapped in tortilla. This sausage seems complete to me, just need some guacamole, but beans do sound good. Thanks for sharing.

Da Yum!
You got my gears turning for a different pork sausage.

Do you think the Chimayo chili powder makes that much of a difference?
All prepared chili powder is really lacking in cumin for my taste.

Was the steaming needed or would have straight on the pellet been ok?

Web lesson. To get a degree symbol ° Hold down the Alt key and type 0176.

I live in a heavy Scandinavian region. The local potato sausage is run through 1/4" to almost emulsify. It is not not favorite due to the mouth feel and is really lacking in flavor due to what we call "Minnesota Bland".

Those look awesome and bet they taste even better nice job

493623A2-339D-4D30-AF39-1A53F00E10FA.jpeg

The cut shot.
These we’re good. Still need to adjust a few things. The potatoes were diced then steamed to soft outside but firm inside, that texture worked perfectly but next time will par boil in salt water. May play with the amount of potatoes as well, although this pretty much struck where I was aiming. The green Chile really is the star in this sausage Flavor wise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky