Tabletop LP grill reconditions for use on a pontoon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
hi, wondering if anyone has any input for a tabletop lp grill that could be used on a pontoon? doesn't need to have specific mounts to add on the railing of the pontoon {but would consider it if the unit is a good one} as i believe i could make some type of shelf myself and secure a grill to that. better to have one with more than one burner for better heat control? other options that a person should look for? how easy to clean? best for not rusting ? all ideas or advice would be appreciated. thanks

I had a tabletop propane grill some years ago, scariest and most dangerous contraption I ever used. The slightest wind would blow the flames around if not out. A little grease leaking out the bottom created a real fire hazard. There is no way I would use one on a boat.

Have you looked at the Weber Q series?
Also, check out Magma and Camco since these grills are designed with a marine environment in mind.
I guess it really boils down to how many BTUs you want in a grill and size depends how many people you plan on feeding on board.

I had a tabletop propane grill some years ago, scariest and most dangerous contraption I ever used. The slightest wind would blow the flames around if not out. A little grease leaking out the bottom created a real fire hazard. There is no way I would use one on a boat.
both good points to consider, thanks reading up on some different grills, some seem to handle wind better than others. using it on my pontoon, there is always a chance that wind may be a problem?, but have grilled with a 14'' weber charcoal grill and only used that on almost windless evenings or days and it worked ok doing it then.
the grease dripping: my location for the grill would be on a metal "open" shelf that is extended over the side of the boat, so possible grease drips should go down into the water. still something to be aware about though
appreciate that you took the time to respond with your thoughts

Have you looked at the Weber Q series?
Also, check out Magma and Camco since these grills are designed with a marine environment in mind.
I guess it really boils down to how many BTUs you want in a grill and size depends how many people you plan on feeding on board.
thanks for responding, have looked at the weber q's , but will also check out the magma and camco now . usually anywhere from 4-8 people so not a huge group and everyone never needed to eat at exactly the same moment either.

The Weber Qs are tanks.Been grilling on my 1000 since the day they were first introduced.

The only issue is as stated above.The drip pan on the Q is kinda shallow for use on a platform that might be rockin and rollin.But if you have a safe way to contain it then a Q is the way to go.

The Weber Qs are tanks.Been grilling on my 1000 since the day they were first introduced.

The only issue is as stated above.The drip pan on the Q is kinda shallow for use on a platform that might be rockin and rollin.But if you have a safe way to contain it then a Q is the way to go.
thanks, good to know that your weber has been working well for you for a long time!

IMG_20220816_110312002.jpg
IMG_20220816_110321961.jpg
IMG_20220728_154336352.jpg

while i didn't find a nicer weber grill, i did pick up this NIB Char-Broil 240 gas grill at a garage sale. paid $45 for it and see that new ones on amazon are about $107
brought it home, put it together and it fired right up. so for the 4 to 5 or so times a year it might get used, hopefully it will work ok for a few years and I still have the 14'' weber charcoal grill i can use also. the last picture is the grill sitting on the over the rail shelf on the pontoon. made the shelf out of a shelf from an old fridge and cut the brackets it fit into on the back of the fridge and bolted them to the railings. the charcoal grill, when in use, sits on a plate on the same shelf. the grill is bolted to the plate which is bolted down to the shelf, making it very secure. i run a chain from the lid of the grill to the legs or shelf so that it can't end up in the water if dropped or jostled somehow.
not shown is a chain that will go across the bottom legs to keep the grill in place while on the water. and i also made pieces that go around the edge of the the shelf to make a little bit of a ledge so the legs of the grill could stop up against those.
everything can be put on or removed in about 5 minutes so nice and easy to have when needed.

Great looking grill at the right price, should serve you well! A very nice job on the shelf installation, looks solid! RAY

That is a great find. Good idea to secure it every which you can. You don't want it ending up in the drink.

Great looking grill at the right price, should serve you well! A very nice job on the shelf installation, looks solid! RAY
Thanks, Ray! Sometimes a person gets lucky with garage sales. Shelf cost basically nothing, just stuff had on the farm repurposed. Saw one ready made, they wanted over $100 for it.

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky