T-Day weather screwing up smoking plans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DinnerIsComing

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2022
Cedar Creek, TX
So here's the deal...

The current weather prediction for this Thursday is pretty much rain from sunup to sundown. I am thinking that in order to deal with that, I'm going to smoke my turkey low-and-slow for about an hour to an hour and a half, then pull it and finish it in the oven. My questions are...
  1. Does an hour to an hour and a half seem an appropriate amount of time to get the smoke flavor into the turkey?
  2. What temperature would you recommend for finishing in the oven?
Thanks in advance.

90 minutes of smoke is better than none.. you should get some pretty good flavor during that time. Also depends on what kind of smoker you are using. In a pellet smoker, the smoke production is VERY clean and that means less flavor due to less particles in the smoke that settle on your food.

If you're using a charcoal smoker, a wood smoker or even an electric smoker with wood chips, you'll get a lot more flavor during that time.

Into the oven, I'd go hot so you can crisp up that skin. Maybe 350 or 375 until it reaches 160°F (71°C).

When I'm cooking hot, I remove the turkey a lot sooner since the carryover cooking will last longer. The turkey will continue cooking even after you take it out of the oven. For this reason, you can safely remove it at 160°F (71°C) and it will glide on up to a perfect 165°F (74°C).

This is what I recommend, others may have some different recommendations for you.

Jeff... first, thank you for the reply...

If you're using a charcoal smoker, a wood smoker or even an electric smoker with wood chips, you'll get a lot more flavor during that time.

I have a CharGriller Gravity 980, so getting the smoke in shouldn't be a problem.

Into the oven, I'd go hot so you can crisp up that skin. Maybe 350 or 375 until it reaches 160°F (71°C).

Yup, that's the temperature I was thinking!

When I'm cooking hot, I remove the turkey a lot sooner since the carryover cooking will last longer. The turkey will continue cooking even after you take it out of the oven. For this reason, you can safely remove it at 160°F (71°C) and it will glide on up to a perfect 165°F (74°C).

Yup -- going to have my temp probes in the thigh and breast meat, looking to pull it from the oven at ~160F and let the carry-over cooking take it over the finish line.

Again, thank you for your reply!

Peter

Reactions: JLeonard
I just thought I would post a few follow-up pics from this past Thanksgiving. As expected, it came down in sheets around here last Thursday.

This is my bird, ready to head out to the smoker...
IMG_4737.jpg

This is my poor Gravity 980 out in the rain, working hard against the cold rain to maintain a 250F temp...
IMG_4739.jpg

As mentioned in this thread, I let it smoke for about 1.5 hours, then pulled it inside to finish in the oven...
IMG_4740.jpg

And finally, the finished product!
IMG_4742.jpg

So dubbed by my wife later as "...the best turkey you've ever made!" Thanks to all for the additional comments that made it all possible!

Belated Happy Thanksgiving!

Peter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky