T-BONE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twin rivers

Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Okay here's the deal ,I latched on to a prime chunk of tbone ,it weighs 20# or so, like the butcher could cut 20 or 30 steaks out of.I'm looking for any advice I can get ,I plan on smoking the whole thing !!! party this weekend!!

Wow!

That's a whopper!

Way over my pay grade, but somebody should be able to help you.

Any pics---I'd love to see that!---slurp!

Congrats---you landed a beauty,

Bearcarver

I would grill them all one at a time at 1.5 inches thick never smoked anything like this! 

Very interesting project! Are you having guests to share this monster?

Last edited:
I think you should cut it into steaks, thick steaks. That does seem to be quite large. If it came from some freak giant steer you might want to do it like A butt. Just my opinion. Though I would probably have it cut into 1.5 to 2 inch steaks and par smoke/grill. Wrapped around in Bacon of course and EVOO'd up. Maybe some fresh rosemary and garlic  from the garden. That would sure be good with Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans. Just my humble opinion of course. I just got A screaming good deal on A Ribeye and think that's what I will do with it. 

Awesome hunk of beef, I have to admit , I have a fondness for T-Bone and Porterhouse. I would have to cut that into 2" steaks and grill it hot and fast. Set up a  charcoal grill with a hot side, about 700 degrees, and a cooler side, sear it a minute or two, 1/4 turn, a minute or two, flip it and do the same. Move it to the cooler side of grill and finish to your liking.

I like mine rare, about 120-125 degrees. When you take it off grill, tent it with foil for about 5 to 10 minutes, and it will pick up about 5 degrees.

Make sure you catch all the juice on the platter and poor it over the steak before serving.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Tho I have never done it I think I would treat it like a Prime Rib and do it pretty much the same way if I was determined to smoke it. Or have it cut up into steaks and fire up the grill and use the smoker for ABT's some Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans and some Twice Smoked Taters. Either way keep it simple and let the meat speak for itself no rubs just a coat of EVOO salt, pepper, garlic and maybe some fresh rosemary

I weighed it at 22# , measures 18" in length and 9" x 8" at the wide end and 7" x 8" at the narrow. sharpened up my knives and trimmed about 5# of fat off and removed the meat from the bone.looks like a tenderloin and a KC or ribeye.1\2 of each marinating and going on the smoker monday,bacon wraped and pecan wood,the bones are in the freezer awaiting a pot of pinto beans and green chiles

20 pounds... wow - that's pretty darn big. I would think that would take a seriously long time to cook. If you are dead set on smoking it I would cut it in half to cut down on the cook time. From there, rub it with your favorite beef rub and have at it. Just give it plenty of time. Is it actually prime grade?

I would probably slice it into nice thick steaks and do a reverse sear.

Have fun, lets see some pics.

I do a whole loin at Christmas.  About 12-14 lbs.  Smoke it slow.  Beautiful hunk o'meat.  It is really only 5" thick but 15' long and 8 wide.

Smoke on....oh you already cut it up.

Enjoy it then...any pics

Just asking, this one time I had a 40 yea 40 lb piece of some kind of beef.  HUGE... smoked it all day and ate it before I remembered the camera.  Never found another piece like that one.  Oh well
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

yeah i think i can help you with that!  but we shouldnt do it on this forum,  whats your address?  ill be right there

Smoke that little puppy to 135° for medium rare, let set for 30 min. before carving.  I wouldn't waste them bones on beans..get 'em hot on the grill and gnaw on 'em with some salt, pepper and garlic, plenty of good eatin' flavor in 'em!

I weighed it at 22# , measures 18" in length and 9" x 8" at the wide end and 7" x 8" at the narrow. sharpened up my knives and trimmed about 5# of fat off and removed the meat from the bone.looks like a tenderloin and a KC or ribeye.1\2 of each marinating and going on the smoker monday,bacon wraped and pecan wood,the bones are in the freezer awaiting a pot of pinto beans and green chiles
I'm with Pops on that!!

If it looks like a ribeye you had a whole rib roast.  Your avatar looks familiar?  Are those your fish hanging?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky