Switch from propane to house gas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

punter9

Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Dallas Texas
Done some looking but haven’t found anything to help with this specific issue.

I have a propane smoker that I want to run off house gas to make things cheap and simple.

I bought an adapter that goes from 3/8 gas line to the little green bottle adapter fitting. Hooked the hose up and screwed it into the regulator on the smoker. It lights but as expected the btu content is so low it won’t get over 190 degrees and wind blows out the flame. I thinking there is an orifice to drill out (5000 btu burner so #80 bit) but before I go do that I wanted to check if that’s the rights way. Will the regulator (which is my flame control) cause any issues? Is there a better way to do this?

Natural gas runs at a lower pressure . That's why you have a lazy flame . As said in post 4 you need the smaller orifice to work with the lower pressure for natural gas . Maybe they make a kit for the brand of smoker you have .

Yup if your house is natural gas you will need to make some changes away from propane gas fittings. But at all cost keep safety in mind.

Warren

Reactions: chopsaw
Your burner delivers too many BTU's... Mod the burner also... Here are some methods to lower the BTU's..... along with orifice size change and line pressure adjustment... Use a needle valve to control gas flow also.....
Propane Burner adjustment.png Burner BTU reductiion.JPG Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG Burner BTU reductiion3.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky