SV + Smoking - don't exceed the SV temp when finishing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsc106

Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
I believe I have read that when SVing meat before a sear or smoke, you should take care not to let the meat exceed the temp that the SV was set to. I think this applied to reheating also.

So let's say you do a Brisket for 36 hours @ 155F - in this case, when you throw it on the smoker to finish for 2-3 hours, it's important not to let it reach about 150-155 then otherwise it will dry it out?

Is this the case? If so, why? What is the science behind it?

I have not heard this. I have not SV a brisket tho... Mostly I SV EOR, roasts and steaks that I want medium rare. sometimes I pull from SV and sear with a torch which doesnt raise the IT. I have SV many a roast at 131, cooled to 37, then smoked back up to 125-130 for medium rare. I think if you are SV to a well done temp, it should matter that much if you surpass the SV temp. dunno.

I believe I have read that when SVing meat before a sear or smoke, you should take care not to let the meat exceed the temp that the SV was set to. I think this applied to reheating also.

So let's say you do a Brisket for 36 hours @ 155F - in this case, when you throw it on the smoker to finish for 2-3 hours, it's important not to let it reach about 150-155 then otherwise it will dry it out?

Is this the case? If so, why? What is the science behind it?
Ball is in your court. Finish it how you think best and post back the results with pictures.

In my opinion you are doing it backwards. I smoke the brisket or pastrami to an IT of 150. It usually takes about 6 hours to get there at 225-250 & has plenty of smoke on it. Then I bag it up with pepper, butter, pickling spices & SV it at 155 for 24 hours. Never had a bad one, & will never cook one any other way.
Al

Reactions: sandyut
In my opinion you are doing it backwards. I smoke the brisket or pastrami to an IT of 150. It usually takes about 6 hours to get there at 225-250 & has plenty of smoke on it. Then I bag it up with pepper, butter, pickling spices & SV it at 155 for 24 hours. Never had a bad one, & will never cook one any other way.
Al

do you have a recipe for this, the ingredient and quantity parts?

IDK, I smoke my tri-tip to 110, freeze, SV to 125 the reverse sear. Never had a complaint yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky