SV Sear Torch Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
1613337414373.png

Will this with a one pound propane work to sear SV? Have one in garage and less splatter than the CI pan I would think. Didn't know if propane worked fine.
I know they make some cool sear guns but not there yet.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, I have a TS8000 ... it will torch anything in its path 😱 ... just a little slow given it’s small target area ... (I use it to start charcoal and pellet tray/tube also) ... wanted to get a Searzall attachment to spread over a larger surface area and sear faster but appears not made anymore ... some knockoffs available it seams.

Yes, I have a TS8000 ... it will torch anything in its path 😱 ... just a little slow given it’s small target area ... (I use it to start charcoal and pellet tray/tube also) ... wanted to get a Searzall attachment to spread over a larger surface area and sear faster but appears not made anymore ... some knockoffs available it seams.
Searzall was something I meant to put on my Christmas list. Didn’t realize they weren’t making them anymore.

Turns out using the torch is so much more fun than the CI pan!
IMG_1925.jpg

Propane is the easiest fuel to control when browning/crisping up, the next step up is MapPro (yellow cylinder) and it needs a different torch head, I use it for metal working so have it on hand, and it works great for starting charcoal too. One other option is a weed burner, which I use to start larger cookers and to roast peppers. On a quiet night it sounds like a jet is landing in your back yard. :emoji_nerd:

Propane is the easiest fuel to control when browning/crisping up, the next step up is MapPro (yellow cylinder) and it needs a different torch head, I use it for metal working so have it on hand, and it works great for starting charcoal too. One other option is a weed burner, which I use to start larger cookers and to roast peppers. On a quiet night it sounds like a jet is landing in your back yard. :emoji_nerd:

Mmmm.... good looking peppers! This worked well so far. Neighbor has the weed burner I can use anytime. Not sure I would fire that up in the house. We had a house fire a few years back so kinda paranoid to say the least. Torch is fantastic for fires while camping as well.

I wouldnt use a normal torch. I tried it once but it left a taste.

I use one of these and I can tell you it doesnt leave the same taste. Not sure why..

Reactions: jmusser
Now that SearPro looks pretty darn good. I usually use a Seerzall, But honestly the best result I have gotten is with a weed burner. It’s real quick & puts a crust on the meat in 20–30 seconds without cooking the meat in the middle.
Al

Now that SearPro looks pretty darn good. I usually use a Seerzall, But honestly the best result I have gotten is with a weed burner. It’s real quick & puts a crust on the meat in 20–30 seconds without cooking the meat in the middle.
Al
Plus, a weed burner telegraphs the message to the neighbors that you are serious when it comes to playing with fire. :emoji_laughing:

So far, I just use a self lighting Bernzomatic, but I use the "FatBoy Bottles" because they have less chance of falling over.

Bear

I wouldn't use Mapp gas on food it has methyl-acetylene in it.

I wouldn't use Mapp gas on food it has methyl-acetylene in it.
As long as you have a proper flame, it's perfectly safe. The original Mapp was made by Linde and they stopped making it 12 or 15 years ago, and it was higher in acetylene. The replacement is Map-Pro and still in the yellow canisters. Modernist Cusine recommends Mapp over propane for cooking partially because it burns hotter and it has less chance of leaving a propane scent odor on food. Here is another article discussing the various gas products for use in the kitchen or grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky