SV - Bologna smoked, in ice bath...confirm SV time temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is another recipe. This is how I make my bologna.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/oh-bologna.312215/

I looked at your recipe and have a question about the STPP and the Sodium Erythorbate...

The only place I can find STPP (food grade) is at Modernist Pantry (50g for $7.99 or 400g for $19.99).

I have the following I bought about 3 years ago, but never got around to using them:
  • Butcher-Packer's "Hunter Special Binder"...Ingredients "Blended of Instantized Sodium Phosphates"
  • Excaliber "Cold Phosphate"...Ingredients "Sodium Phosphates"
Could I use either of them instead of STPP?

As for Sodium Erythorbate, as I understand it, its primary purpose is to accelerate the cure so you forgo holding overnight in the fridge and go straight to smoking. I've also read it promotes "better color". So I'm thinking if I hold overnight/smoke the next day I can omit it?

Thanks!

I looked at your recipe and have a question about the STPP and the Sodium Erythorbate...

The only place I can find STPP (food grade) is at Modernist Pantry (50g for $7.99 or 400g for $19.99).

I have the following I bought about 3 years ago, but never got around to using them:
  • Butcher-Packer's "Hunter Special Binder"...Ingredients "Blended of Instantized Sodium Phosphates"

As for Sodium Erythorbate, as I understand it, its primary purpose is to accelerate the cure so you forgo holding overnight in the fridge and go straight to smoking. I've also read it promotes "better color". So I'm thinking if I hold overnight/smoke the next day I can omit it?

Thanks!
You can use either of those phosphates. It is almost impossible to get them to commit to the exact phosphate blend, but one of the 2 most common is sodium tri poly phosphate, sttp, and the excalibur one is mostly that.

You are correct on sodium erythorbate. It is accelerator, allows fast cure from gas release. You don't HAVE to smoke immediately though, you just CAN. It is often used to get a good color fix and a stronger pink color. So I can totally see using it for bologna to ensure a nice pink instead of a greyish pink. Either way would be fine though if held overnight. Some folks say curing overnight can give more flavor depth in sausage. I like to use accelerator for snacksticks where flavor is all from uber high spicing, and it's just too much to stick in my fridge ;)

You can use either of those phosphates. It is almost impossible to get them to commit to the exact phosphate blend, but one of the 2 most common is sodium tri poly phosphate, sttp, and the excalibur one is mostly that.

You are correct on sodium erythorbate. It is accelerator, allows fast cure from gas release. You don't HAVE to smoke immediately though, you just CAN. It is often used to get a good color fix and a stronger pink color. So I can totally see using it for bologna to ensure a nice pink instead of a greyish pink. Either way would be fine though if held overnight. Some folks say curing overnight can give more flavor depth in sausage. I like to use accelerator for snacksticks where flavor is all from uber high spicing, and it's just too much to stick in my fridge ;)
Thank you!

Will let you know how it turns out!

Reactions: Dave in AZ

Thanks!
Yes any of the phosphate you have will work fine.

As to the erythorbate, it’s not necessary to add but I do not to speed the process but to ensure nitrite depletion, to fix the color better and for the general preservative qualities. I believe it makes all of my sausages taste better for longer.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky