OH BOLOGNA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Wife wants to give the Father in Law a chub of bologna. He loves my bologna. So that’s fine. I was unsupervised today so here we go got some tunes playing and making sausage.

I bought the dual grind attachment for my LEM grinder, so I can one pass through a 1/8” plate. A real time saver. Nice premium grind with par frozen meat. This was 6#
B76742FF-EAE4-4FEB-BC30-CD5F5BD0C90C.jpeg

Next we mix up the spices then mix it up.

Bologna (per Kg meat) this was all pork.

Salt) 18g.
Cure #1) 2.5g
Sugar) 0.5%
Ground mace) 0.5g
Gran garlic) 1.5g
Gran onion) 1.5%
White pepper) 1.0%
Mustard powder) 1.5%
STPP) 0.4%
Sodium erythorbate) 0.05%
Note: dissolve STPP in in about 1/4c tepid water then dissolve erythorbate. Once dissolved add an ice cube to the water.
05EBDA53-EEE2-40F9-B44B-650114310B62.jpeg

add the water and mix well until good and tacky.

Then I run it through the Champion juicer for emulsification.
7DD5C6F1-1426-48CC-B119-EC921D74CEFA.jpeg

Now we have our fibrous red 4 7/8” casing that has been soaking in warm water since we started. Couple hours.
76D6A5AF-CB8B-4A12-ACB1-FE6309181846.jpeg

I do fill these with the stuffer, but sometimes I roll the casing up inside out like a sock and just fill it with a spatula packing it in expelling the air and just keep unfolding the casing as we go up. Pretty easy really.
F8CA58F2-F6C1-462E-A9B6-BB1BF80DA239.jpeg

66D50338-90F8-41D7-8000-15DC59BE9F32.jpeg

Pack it in good and tight. These casings will hold 10#, but more comfortably 8#. Twist up the top, push and squeeze the air out. Bounce it up and down holding the top of the casing (twisted like a bread sack) and stop it short of the counter making everything pack in. The I use hog rings to seal it after I twist it as tight as I can, but you can use zip ties also. I plan to smoke this sometime next week and Sous vide finish. So no cut shots of this one, but I’ll throw in a couple shots from previous cooks.
Thanks for stopping buy and keep smoking.

889929F8-A2C5-4AF4-B697-0F8A47176C9F.jpeg
EB6FFA76-D5B2-46BF-A651-74A99A4D1530.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice! Great write up! I finally figured out what I need to do to get my bowl chopper operational so once that is done, it'll be Mortadella time!
That would be so nice to have access to a bowl chopper. Very cool.
This is a Mortadella recipe sands the fat cubes.

Nice tight looking bologna , and good color. I have not made this yet.

Have to try some polish sausage first as that is what I am told by the powers that be

David
Looking forward to you getting into sausage, David. You are very good at other aspects of cooking, and I have no doubt you would excel at sausage.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looking forward to you getting into sausage, David. You are very good at other aspects of cooking, and I have no doubt you would excel at sausage.

Thanks Eric

Very nice of you to say, It is the knowing of the real texture like your bologna that I am striving for

I did try to make the potato sausage twice , not bad the second time
And in the throwdown I made the Chorizo Verde it was real nice , I liked it better not smoked.
I will get a handle on the real way to making sausages, knowing all the ins and outs , for the feel and texture od a good sausage.

David

Reactions: SmokinEdge
A very educational recipe and process! Thank you. Can you provide some detail on how you emulsify the meat mixture in the juicer?
Meat is first final ground through an 1/8” plate (fine) I mix in the dry ingredients and keep mixing until the batter becomes very sticky. This is protein extraction and plays a key roll in the binding of the sausage and it’s final texture. Then I make small logs from the mince to easier feed into the juicer (the throat is kinda small). The juicer itself is a masticating juicer. With a blank plate on the bottom where a screen would normally go to let the juice out, this forces the mince through the mastication cone and out the end as emulsified batter. It processes about a pound a minute. I go slow and easy.
99A39394-D9D3-4B1C-8E61-BCD7CCAC2EC3.jpeg

DB298DE6-2A52-4FAE-9D76-1DB7AA4C277C.jpeg

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks great! Nice write up too. Bookmarked. Good bologna is killer stuff. Anyone who makes fun of it must never had any. I feel sorry for them (not really) :emoji_laughing:

side note:
I have started saving all the tendons, silver skin, and connective tissue from trimming pork for salami to use in emulsified sausages. Lots of collagen to help with the bind in an emulsified sausage. Once the bowl chopper is operational, it will be put to use.

Thanks for posting...I always learn something new in this forum!

Things to do: -- Look up dual grinding attachment!

Great write up and pics. Thanks for the recipe also. I would like to try to make bologna sometime. I do not have an emulsifier at this time, but may end up with one in the
future. Thanks for sharing the post and your knowledge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky