Surf & Turf & Pitbullrito's (Shrimp, Flat-Iron, Cured Pork Shoulder Chunks) w/ Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Many more details to come throughout the day tomorrow-

Attachments

• KIMG0571 - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0571 - Copy.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 30
  • KIMG0573 - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0573 - Copy.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
  • KIMG0574 (1) - Copy.JPG
    KIMG0574 (1) - Copy.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 32
Looks good. I've been eating Flour Tortillas more frequently than Bread...JJ

Reactions: Hamdrew
Looks good. I've been eating Flour Tortillas more frequently than Bread...JJ
I have paid much attention to u over the years JJ and would love to trade recipes.. you would be proud if not jealous of my chile game

Sure my Friend. Anything I can help with, just ask. I'd love to see your Chili Recipe. I make a few different kinds now, but always looking for new stuff to try...JJ

Reactions: Hamdrew
I won't keep you all waiting too long, just might have to edit the chimichuri if i forget to leave something out..

Shrimp just broiled off in the oven quick in my cast iron, flipping once

Turf was just a flat-iron that happened to be on sale. Season to your liking.

Pit-
about a quarter butt of an ugly/poorly (by yours truly) butchered flap had been wet-curing for 10 days chopped em up into a few pieces and smoked about 225*. Bunch of apple wood. Had good bark about 3hrs in but weren't quite up to a sliceable tender temp, wrapped for another hour (i used strawberry jelly instead of honey). This is when I wrap-
KIMG0569.jpg

Beans-
Pretty standard hispanic black beans. Garlic, onion. lil cumin. Heavy handed on the oregano (especially if using the brighter/fruitier Mexican oregano like i was). Some sort of chile pepper whether dried or fresh, a red can brighten it up while a bitterly vegetal green serrano will sharpen it if you're going heavier on the Mojo (i.e. garlic, cilantro, onion) elements

Mojo/Jerk Chimichurri-
Parsley, Cilantro, Chinese 5-Spice, Allspice, Grapefruit juice/pulp/zest, limes, lotta garlic and onion, raw jalapenos, finally VERY LIGHT THYME. If I'd had any, I'd have loved to add some Thai Basil or Tarragon, again very very light-handed

Finally i chopped up a raw red fresno chile to make it a little hotter and the bright/sweet flavor of ripe chiles/peppers. Whether it's a bell, banana, or a habanero-family adding that floral component; it'll be good

I took a pic of em right before wrapping,

[Tip on heating your tortillas w/ an electric stove, hold the tortilla up and turn it on pretty hot and just sort of "dip" down each little flap/corner/side, rotating it around with your hands.]

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky