Sunday Ribs 2 Ways w/QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kanealmond

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Boone, NC
Today I figured I would smoke a few racks of baby backs. There's a lot of turkey on the menu in the coming days, so some good BBQ ribs seemed like a good idea before the Thanksgiving holiday is upon us.

I'm using 2 very different rubs today. One is my go-to rib rub called Famous Daves. I use it on all my ribs. I've yet to beat the color and flavor that it provides. I smoked a boston butt for a guy at work a few weeks ago, and used a rub that he bought called Rub Some Butt. It's a Carolina mustard and vinegar style rub and it turned out extremely well on the pulled pork. Since tasting it I have had it on my brain to try it on ribs, and today is the day!

I'm putting them in a 250 degree smoker over apple chunks at 1pm. Starting off this morning by removing the membrane, washing them off well, and applying a thin layer of mustard. Then, a heavy coating of the rub and into the fridge for an hour or so. I'm not a rub the the night before guy. I think it gives the ribs a ham flavor.

Just before the smoker.

I'm using the 2-2-1 method of these ribs. After 2 hours of constant smoke, I wrapped them up tight. The one with the Carolina style rub was wrapped with a little apple juice added and that's all. The other is wrapped with some brown sugar, butter, and apple juice.

After the 2nd 2 hour stint, they're unwrapped and placed meat side up at the top of the smoker away from the heat. Just a little bit more wood added, and close the door for an hour. After the final hour in the heat, I sauce them and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes. I sauced the ones with the Famous Dave's rub with some sweet baby rays vidalia onion sauce. Put a thin layer of Carolina Treet on the others. For you guys and gals not from the southeast US, buy some Carolina Treet online if it's not in your area, it's a fantastic thin tangy sauce. Goes so well with pork.

Finish product.

Both kinds turned out very well. Had good pull back on the bones and a good bite thru texture.

Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: mike5051
Nice ribs Kane!  
points1.png
  I'm doing a pork loin today cuz it's fixing to be turkey, turkey, turkey!  Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky