Sunday Pulled Pork Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PacBeachsmoker

Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
San Diego
Going to start 2- 7.5 lb pork butts tonight I got at Costco and just realized they are De-boned!!! I've done two PP's before and both had the bone in and came out great. anything I should worry about.... Rubbed with a thin mustard layer and have been sitting with the rub on for 12 hrs. Going to try and smoke these with Cherry and hickory mix as that what I have left.
Couple of questions:
-Is the hickory going be too much? Too strong?
-Do you guys always put your butts in an aluminum pan? Or right on the rack? I've done both...

Thanks, love the forum!!

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
I use hickory on butts all the time. Great flavor on pork. Mine go on the grate and not in a pan. I use to use a pan but found it made my pulled pork too greasy. For my taste it is better to let the fat cap render down and drip through the grate. I get a slightly dryer product but still juicy. ....Also I get more bark without a pan. Which we love.
Good luck! B

E13A6A70-12DE-46D6-B1A5-B0CFFEA8B563.jpeg
3E460A6D-EF36-4167-9099-AF2C532DCF37.jpeg
Thanks B, went straight on the rack. Away we go!!!

I've only smoked 1 butt without a bone in it (6lb) and what I expected to take 14-16hrs took 20 (maybe 22, but I can't remember and I'm 7000mi away from my log book). Even then I pulled it at like 185 because it wouldn't go past. (still shredded well) If I ever have to do it again, I will probably try putting a 10 penny nail thru it.

+1 on the hickory. I use it all the time for pork butts. Infact, I even use hickory nuts gathered from a friend's yard.

Can't add anything to what B said. It's pretty much how I do them also. Except my family likes a softer bark so I put the butt in a pan sitting on a toaster oven rack cover it with foil during the stale add a little apple juice for the braising liquid.

Chris

I've done them both ways in a pan & straight on the rack. Either way they come out good.
If I'm doing low & slow in my WSM overnight, I usually put the butt in a pan. If I'm going hot & fast on my Lang I put it right on the grate.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky