Sunday double header

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I bet noone fell for that opening.

Sunday USA play Uruquay and Canada play Panama in pre world cup friendlies. Exciting time as both US and Canada prepare for the World cup. I always cook for after the match.

Anyway, i saw GrumpyGriller GrumpyGriller post for pulled pork mac and cheese the other day and got inspired. I also read tx smoker tx smoker post on two stage brisket.

All of my pork butts are still very frozen, so I will go to costco and get one this afternoon. I won't have time to cook all the way to tender, i want to go slow so more smoke flavor. So I thought this was a good opportunity to try the two stage cook.

My first thought was to pull at the stall and simply coat the pork with the juices from the smoked pork after it cooled down. Then cook the rest of the way in the morning before the matches.

I waz also thinking to smoke the pork in cherry, not sure how this will go with the mac and cheese. Will be great for sliders.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
The local grocery did not have any porknshoulder. It's where I usually get them. So, I got a boneless at costco and it weighs in at nearly 14lbs. I have only done one before and it was about 8lbs.

Should I cut it in half, freeze half and smoke the other half? We are only 3 people and 14lbs is way too much meat.

And why are some small, 8 to 9 lbs, and large at 14lbs. I bought the smallest one they had.

The only ones ive seen at costco come 2 to a pack..14lbs would be huge..Especially without the bone..sorry if I read it wrong.😎
Ha ha ha, that is a relief. When I bought it I only looked at.thentop. I tried to use my finger to.see if it was split and couldn't find it. I read your post and went to garage to look again, how could.I have missed this. Well, I just turned it over and the fat cap was easy to see.

Thanks.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
If you thaw safely in a fridge you can vac seal and refreeze the 2nd but with no worries
I'm just going to make it into bulk fresh italian sausage. My wife will be home monday morning and she hates the sound of the grinder and how long it takes. I suspect she will buy a better grinder. That way I don't have to spend hard earned points on it.

• Haha
Reactions: Ringer and bauchjw
I took the shoulder to the stall at 154° and let it sit for 30 minutes before I put it in fridge. I had a previous engagement and was being pressed to leave. I will either finish tonight in oven or tomorrow morning in the smoker with no smoke, not sure why I would do the second option.
PXL_20220604_143318593.jpg .
PXL_20220604_213623772.jpg

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky