Sunday dinner smoked chickens with (Q-VIEW)

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by lowbass, Aug 29, 2011.

1. lowbass

lowbass Fire Starter

We couldn't find a small Turkey to smoke so I decided to do a couple of chickens instead. So I fired up the Weber(22.5), and got it set up for in-direct grilling(smoking). I decided I was going to inject the chickens so I made up my "Kickin Cajun injector mix". The mix consisted of melted butter, chicken broth, Cajun seasoning, and garlic powder. I rubbed the birds down with Olive oil, then I rubbed them with seasoned salt then some Mrs Dash seasoning. I then injected them with the Cajun mix. The first pic is of my injector mix. Then I took a pic after 1 hour of smoking(103deg). The third pic is at 2 hours of smoking((134deg). I then pulled the birds off the grill when they reached 165deg. Total cooking time was 2hrs 45mins. We took them in the house and covered with foil for 20mins then, it was on! Didn't get pics of the carving as it was time to eat and I forgot. They tasted very good.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

them birds look great.. nice job bet it was tasty..

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks Great!...Did you have any problem with the needle clogging injecting Butter into the cold chicken?...JJ

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The chickens look perfectly done!

Great color!

5. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The color on that second pic made me wanna lick the screen. What temp you at?

6. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking birds!

Good luck and good smoking.

7. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

sweet looking chickens, great color....

8. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

those look awesome!!  What temp did you smoke them at?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. looks great makes me hungry[​IMG]

10. lowbass

lowbass Fire Starter

No problems with the injecting. I took the birds out of the fridge and let them come to room temp before injecting and rubbing.

11. lowbass

lowbass Fire Starter

Temp stayed between 325-340deg. I also used a couple of chunks of hickory too.