Sunday Chuck Shepherd Pie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks phenomenal! I love shepherds pie! I remember eating spam as a kid so awhile back we decided to try it again after seeing in mentioned here by someone...don't think between my wife and I we finished a single slice...but hey, I eat my veggies now!

Ryan

And look at that beautiful smoke ring on that chuck sitting in that pan. Wow!
Thanks, they RT1250 does a pretty nice job in that regard, way more smoke than my memphis grill. This chuck was particularly tasty with all the marbling!

That looks awesome. Id love some of that!
Thanks bf!

That looks phenomenal! I love shepherds pie! I remember eating spam as a kid so awhile back we decided to try it again after seeing in mentioned here by someone...don't think between my wife and I we finished a single slice...but hey, I eat my veggies now!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Oh spam is a love or NO love thing but I do think how its prepped makes a huge difference. I think its strong suit is for hashes and such.....It takes a love to just eat it sliced.....

Looks amazing! I almost used chuck for mine too but so cold out lol. I bet the Marsala is very nice with the beef in that!

Looks amazing! I almost used chuck for mine too but so cold out lol. I bet the Marsala is very nice with the beef in that!

Thanks and Oh yea Marsala really adds to the beef flavor!

Lunch time leftovers!
CECEB19D-89A0-4962-9B89-4D8B0A568D20.jpeg

This bite WAS pure money!
B84F8EF7-B32A-4904-84EB-5BEDA02DE2A8.jpeg

I’m not sure this should be classified as leftovers though........

Reactions: 912smoker
Civilsmoker,

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I would really like to try this before the weather breaks. How large a chuck did you use? How many cups of Onions, peas, corn, red wine, carrots and beef broth did you add to the Pie? I think I would consider adding a little bit of Minor's Au Jus concentrate to your cook as well.

Thank You for your time!

Civilsmoker,

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I would really like to try this before the weather breaks. How large a chuck did you use? How many cups of Onions, peas, corn, red wine, carrots and beef broth did you add to the Pie? I think I would consider adding a little bit of Minor's Au Jus concentrate to your cook as well.

Thank You for your time!
Ok for the chuck....just the standard cut I think they are 4 to 6 lbs. I usually like the 2 plus inch ones but any size will work.....not all the chuck goes in the gravy just the right amount....again to preference.....I usually put a cup of red wine to 2 cups of beef stock...you can also add other flavor adders to the braising liquid, ie onion garlic peppers etc. just added when you wrap and not before......

the gravy is a basic flour butter roux....ie put 1/3rd cup butter then 1/2 a sweet onion and some carrot slices (about the same as the o.....once the onions are translucent add 1/3 cup of flour and cook it till you get a nice paste....then add slowly add broth as it thickens..... for a 1/3 cup part roux it will be about 4 cups of liquid for a 1/4 cup part roux it will be about 3 cups of liquids.....just add the liquid slowly letting it cook in till you get the right thickness and flavor.

the liquids are made up of broth, braising liquid (fat skimmed) and Marsala (1/2 to 3/4 cup more if want stronger). Minors Demi or AJ will work but the braising liquid is the gold flavor. PS my wife just makes it from scratch no measurements as she has made roux based stuff for YEARs....the above is my wife’s way....I make the roux on its own and add it at the end....both work....the exception is I make sausage gravy for biscuits like above.....

then when you make the pie you just add a spoon full or two of peas and corn to the mix.....based on personal ratios. We let each person blend them as they desire....

oh you can also make the roux a head of time and keep it cooled in the fridge so you just drop it in the liquid when ready.

Ok for the chuck....just the standard cut I think they are 4 to 6 lbs. I usually like the 2 plus inch ones but any size will work.....not all the chuck goes in the gravy just the right amount....again to preference.....I usually put a cup of red wine to 2 cups of beef stock...you can also add other flavor adders to the braising liquid, ie onion garlic peppers etc. just added when you wrap and not before......

the gravy is a basic flour butter roux....ie put 1/3rd cup butter then 1/2 a sweet onion and some carrot slices (about the same as the o.....once the onions are translucent add 1/3 cup of flour and cook it till you get a nice paste....then add slowly add broth as it thickens..... for a 1/3 cup part roux it will be about 4 cups of liquid for a 1/4 cup part roux it will be about 3 cups of liquids.....just add the liquid slowly letting it cook in till you get the right thickness and flavor.

the liquids are made up of broth, braising liquid (fat skimmed) and Marsala (1/2 to 3/4 cup more if want stronger). Minors Demi or AJ will work but the braising liquid is the gold flavor. PS my wife just makes it from scratch no measurements as she has made roux based stuff for YEARs....the above is my wife’s way....I make the roux on its own and add it at the end....both work....the exception is I make sausage gravy for biscuits like above.....

then when you make the pie you just add a spoon full or two of peas and corn to the mix.....based on personal ratios. We let each person blend them as they desire....

oh you can also make the roux a head of time and keep it cooled in the fridge so you just drop it in the liquid when ready.

Thank You! Very Helpful

That looks so much better than the usual ground beef versions! So jealous!
Oh yea smoked chuck is the next level version.....we haven't done ground once since we started using the smoked chuck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky