Sunday Afternoon Spares and Tenderlions w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome looking plate! Those ribs look absolutely killer. I'd be interested to hear more about how you did your turkey as well--naked the whole time? What IT and how long roughly?

LOL... Reading comprehension FTW.

Just noticed the part about using paper in lieu of foil, and preferring it.
I too prefer to use paper for anything being wrapped, the finished product is so much nicer IMO.
I only use foil if I'm braising something with lots of liquid, e.g. beef cheeks.
Only one cautionary anecdote, if using honey, preheat and mix with butter, BBQ sauce or something to prevent it causing the paper to stick to the meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Beautiful !!! Looks Perfect
I "LIKE" it

Gary

That's some good looking Eats, right there, John!!
Looks Mighty Tasty, and I love that Plate!!
Nice Job!
Like.
Sorry I'm late---Almost missed it !!

Bear

Quadruple Wow!

Those ribs look pretty awesome John! I gotta try them with some butcher paper next time. It’s been awhile since I made ribs!

The turkey tenderloins look delicious too!

Thanks Joe! Yeah man try out the paper. I am pretty sure I am done with foil. Next time I do a butt I am going to wrap it In paper too see how it turns out.

Quadruple wow!! Great looking ribs and a beautiful plate. That whole meal just screams "perfect back yard BBQ". Looks perfect for 4th of July or Memorial Day...or maybe just a nice day in TN :emoji_laughing: Beautiful job John and kudos for taking care of the neighbors. That's a sign of a really good heart belonging to a really good person. I'd love to hear more stories like that. Sad part is that in our community Tracy and I are the old folks, me at 57 and her at 55. There are very few people here though and a couple are just successful younger folks, so that's cool. Maybe somebody like you will feel sorry for us and bring dinner. With my luck it'd be out of a box but I'd still eat it if somebody took the time to prepare the meal for us :emoji_wink: Prolly not gonna happen though. All the neighbors come here for food, not the other way around.

Oh well, yours still looks great!!
Robert

Robert thank you my friend. I would gladly bring you some food. Or hell one of these days I will just come down and scavenge your freezer for that giant slab of CPB. Might come home one day to it spinning on the SM and half a keg less of beer :emoji_laughing:

Robert thank you my friend. I would gladly bring you some food. Or hell one of these days I will just come down and scavenge your freezer for that giant slab of CPB. Might come home one day to it spinning on the SM and half a keg less of beer :emoji_laughing:

That's fine with me brother!! CPB is in the freezer in the garage (take your choice) and the kegorator is in the utility room. Frosted mugs in the freezer compartment above the kegs. Help yourself my friend. See ya when I get home :emoji_laughing:

Finally a night I don't have to cook,
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Wow, that all looks great! I love some ribs most are ~$3.99/lb around here right now :( What was the total time on the turkey tenders and were they naked the whole time? Just picked up a pack at the store.
Definitely going to try the butcher paper wrap. How long did the turkey take? Looks fantastic.
Awesome looking plate! Those ribs look absolutely killer. I'd be interested to hear more about how you did your turkey as well--naked the whole time? What IT and how long roughly?

Thanks guys! The turkey was great. Normally when I have bought them before they look a lot like pork tenderloins just a little larger but these came out of the pack looking like 4 small breasts. I rinsed and dried them then applied the no salt garlic and herb ms dash. Rolled them naked the whole time with hickory smoke around 250. Took about 2 hours to hit IT of 165 then I let them rest for about 30 minutes before I sliced them. They are easy and tasty!

Oh my Lord John! That looks simply amazing. Those ribs look so good. I need to reel my tongue back in now. I think that I am going to try my butcher paper on my next batch of ribs. I have always used foil but those ribs are so gorgeous. I have to give that a try. Now I wish I had bought those spareribs at Sam's last Saturday. I'm doing the pork butt that i missed out on last weekend this upcoming weekend. I think that I will pick up some spareribs in two weeks though and give this a go. Thanks for the inspiration. Stay safe.

G

Damn John that is most definitely a nice plate of food!

And good on ya for helpin' out the neighbors....

We have been doing the turkey tenderloins for quite awhile now and prefer them to chicken breasts.

BIG LIKE!

John

Man those look great!! I love spares far more than baby backs. All your food there is spot on. Good on you helping those neighbors too. This world is in need of a lot more of that right now.

Thanks Jeff! I used to be a BB guy but enjoy the STL's much more now too. Def try out the paper next time you do a rack!

Reactions: jcam222
OMG those are beautiful ribs! You said spares but they look like St. Louis style. Did you trim them?
Like!

Thanks for the like and kind words! Yeah they were St. Louis cut spares. I trimmed a little of the fatty stuff off of the back and took off the membrane but nothing too crazy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky