Sunday Afternoon Spares and Tenderlions w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Beautiful weekend here in East TN. Couldn't ask for much better weather to fire the smoker up. That coupled with the store having spare ribs for $1.79lb turned into the perfect storm. Bought 5 racks...stuck two in the freezer and smoked three. Since this whole pandemic situation has going on we have been helping our elderly neighbors buying them groceries and what not and figured I would share in the smoked meat wealth with them.

Seasoned one rack up with Jeff's rub and the other two with Famous Dave's rib rub. Too lazy to make my own yesterday. Also had two packages of turkey tenderloins in the freezer I decided to do. When I opened the tenderloins it was more along the lines of 4 small turkey breasts. Seasoned them with salt free Ms Dash Garlic and Herb.
ribs15.jpg

Smoke rolling at 250. Hickory Chunks. Nice TBS.
ribs18.jpg

ribs16.jpg

Saw a post by TNJAKE TNJAKE last week where he used butcher paper instead of foil on his ribs and I figured I would give it a try. Up to this point I had only ever used butcher paper on briskets. Wrapped at hour 3 and put the tenderloins in.
ribs17.jpg

After a two hour wrap in paper.
ribs19.jpg

ribs20.jpg

Put back in the smoker for about 45 minutes to firm back up a little and sauce a little bit.
ribs21.jpg

Check these things out.
ribs24.jpg

ribs25.jpg

Here are two of the turkey "tenderloins"
ribs22.jpg

ribs23.jpg

Taste test. Perfect tender bite through but not quite FOTB which is how I like them.
ribs26.jpg

Didn't take a whole bunch of pictures of sides but whipped up some buttermilk slaw, a pan of Gary's beans, and smoked mac and cheese. Had some veggies that were fixing to go bad so oven roasted some squash, zucchini, and eggplant. Whipped out the fine disposable china and plated up.
ribs27.jpg

Sent a big box of stuff to the neighbors. The verdict is I don't think I will ever use foil on ribs again. The butcher paper did wonders and will be my go to method from now on. The tenderloins were juicy with the perfect amount of smoke. Sides are always good so no complaints there. Thanks for checking it out and everyone stay safe out there!

John

Double Wow ! It all looks fantastic , but the turkey is a show stopper . Man the looks good .

Quadruple Wow!

Those ribs look pretty awesome John! I gotta try them with some butcher paper next time. It’s been awhile since I made ribs!

The turkey tenderloins look delicious too!

Quadruple wow!! Great looking ribs and a beautiful plate. That whole meal just screams "perfect back yard BBQ". Looks perfect for 4th of July or Memorial Day...or maybe just a nice day in TN :emoji_laughing: Beautiful job John and kudos for taking care of the neighbors. That's a sign of a really good heart belonging to a really good person. I'd love to hear more stories like that. Sad part is that in our community Tracy and I are the old folks, me at 57 and her at 55. There are very few people here though and a couple are just successful younger folks, so that's cool. Maybe somebody like you will feel sorry for us and bring dinner. With my luck it'd be out of a box but I'd still eat it if somebody took the time to prepare the meal for us :emoji_wink: Prolly not gonna happen though. All the neighbors come here for food, not the other way around.

Oh well, yours still looks great!!
Robert

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow, that all looks great! I love some ribs most are ~$3.99/lb around here right now :( What was the total time on the turkey tenders and were they naked the whole time? Just picked up a pack at the store.

Definitely going to try the butcher paper wrap. How long did the turkey take? Looks fantastic.

Man those look great!! I love spares far more than baby backs. All your food there is spot on. Good on you helping those neighbors too. This world is in need of a lot more of that right now.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
It all looks fantastic to me! Your neighbors are lucky to have you as a neighbor, I bet they really appreciate it. Great job all the way around.

Ryan

Looks awesome! I ordered some paper about a week ago.......still waiting... Cant wait to try it out. That's a nice full plate of awesome food! LIKE!

Fantastic looking grub John.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky