Summers Sausage / Room Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slowmo

Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
I am brand new to sausage making.  I made my first batch of venison summer sausage.  I took what I wasn't going to eat soon or share over to my parents to use their vacuum sealer.  I sealed them and put them in the freezer.  We brought them home last night (frozen solid).  They were forgotten and left on the table overnight (around 9 hrs total) and thawed out.  

My questions is can I put them back in the fridge or freezer safely?  They were made with cure and allowed to cure in the fridge for over 24 hrs before smoking.  From what I understand, the idea behind summer sausage was that it could be stored at room temp for a period of time and that is how it is sold in the store.  I'm not sure if there is specific handling/sterilization to make that ok.  Everything I can find online about storage is recommending vac and refrigerate/freeze.  I hate to throw it away, but it is not worth making myself or others sick over a few pounds of sausage.

Thanks in advance.

I used AC Legg Cure, which from what I have seen is the same as cure #1.  I used it at the ratio of 1 tsp/ 5 lbs meat.

The meat should be OK....  BUT, meat stored in an oxygen free environment and temps between 50-110, are in the prime zone for botulism...  Vacuum packed meats on the counter, meet that requirement..    the nitrite "should" protect the meats from botulism growing.....  just as it would in a smoker....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky