Summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris1234

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
I’ve been making summer sausage for a few months now with great success. All I’ve been using are the different kits though when it seems like the ingredients they put in their packets, I already have at home. (Could be wrong) Does anyone have any good recipes they’d like to share?

I just made jalapeno and cheddar summer sausage. Turned out real good...Here's the recipe I used. I did not do numbers 3, 4, 16....no reason other than I didn't have them....lol

1) 5 lbs coarse ground lean beef
2) 5 lbs course ground fatty pork butt/shoulder
3) 3/4 cup + 1 tblsp low fat cultured buttermilk
4) 2 tblsp non-fat dry milk, for binder 5)
5) 2 tsp Prague Powder #1
6) 4 tblsp + 2 tsp kosher salt, can substitute 4 tblsp of pickling salt
7) 2 tblsp whole mustard seed
8) 3 tblsp coarse ground black pepper
9) 4 tsp sugar, for fermenting to get tang.
10) 1 tblsp garlic powder
11) 1 tblsp onion powder
12) 2 tblsp paprika
13) 1 tsp ground marjoram
14) 1/4 tsp ground ginger
15) 1/4 tsp ground coriander
16) 10 tsp ECA (optional but highly recommended)
17) 1 lb high temp pepper jack cheese

Reactions: Chris1234
This is the recipe that I use and I'll tell you in no uncertain terms that it makes a great Summer Sausage. I'd made a couple of batches prior to using this recipe and they all lacked what I was looking for. This one however made the absolute best that myself, my wife, and my friends have ever had. I do highly recommend using the ECA though. It really adds to the flavor. It's inexpensive and readily available. I got mine from Amazon, had it in a day or two, and it makes all the difference in the world. Using the cheese also adds a whole 'nother dimension to the finished product.

Have fun!!
Robert

You guys are awesome! Thanks a lot. I’ll have to try it out.

If you want a mild, very smooth summer sausage you need to try this one. This is Mettworst made by a user on here under the handle Disco. This is probably one of the smoothest ones I have made. I used 50/50 deer to 73% beef so about 14% fat and it was great.

He has a post on this sub forum if you search for it.

BTW, if I hadn't said so before, Great recipe Disco!

"This is Mettworst made by a user on here under the handle Disco."

I have not made this particular sausage but have made several other things that Disco has posted, as well as gotten a LOT of guidance from him when I started. I'll tell you with 100% confidence that if it comes from Disco, you can take it to the bank. The man is first-class and knows what he's doing.

20# of Disco's bacon curing as I type,
Robert

Reactions: archeryrob
heres what I used for some really damn good sausage. It was shared by Gearloose. I think I added more pepper, and upped the mustard with some whole mustard seed. I have learned that tastes really vary, but this was exactly what we were looking for in summer sausage. we did 4# of venison, 4# of ground pork, and 2# of ground beef.

Has anyone made this recipe from Rytek Kutas' book?
(I've made minor changes - basically omitting the beef hearts and increasing the amount of garlic)

Goteborg Summer Sausage
by Rytek Kutas

Ingredients for 10 lbs.

8 lb. beef (chuck or round)
2 lb. ground pork
2 tsp. Instacure #1
1 Tbsp. black pepper
3 Tbsp. ground mustard
2 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp. granulated garlic powder (original recipe: 1 tsp. optional)
8 Tbsp. salt
4 Tbsp. powdered dextrose
6 ozs. powdered buttermilk (Fermento)

Edited to add the instructions since I'm changing this into a project thread:

Grind beef through a 3/16” plate. Add pork and spices and mix thoroughly. Place in a tub and refrigerate 24 hours.(Original Kutas recipe now instructs to regrind through a 1/8" plate, but I am omitting this step.) Stuff tightly in beef middles, making certain all air pockets are eliminated. Make each sausage 12” to 18” long and tie a loop on one end for hanging.

Hang on smokesticks and air-dry at room temperature 4-5 hours. Place in 120-130 degree preheated smoker. Apply heavy smoke at 120-130 degrees for 3-4 hours. Raise smoker temperature to 165 degrees and cook until sausage internal temp is 145 degrees. Remove from smoker and shower with cold water until sausage is 120 degrees, or less. Allow to hang for 1-2 hours until desired bloom is obtained. Refrigerate for at least 24 hr. before packaging & freezing.

I'm wanting to make it and am curious if others have tried it and how they liked it. If you have a recipe you like better, would you share a link? I got a bit overwhelmed trying to use the Forums search.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky