Summer Sausage with or without high temp cheese?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I have been making my SS with the high temp cheese but I really don't taste it in the sausage! I always have sliced cheese and crackers with the SS and I do taste the smoked gouda in this combination. So I am thinking of not using the high temp cheese anymore. I have been reading past posts and it seem'e that I am not the only one that thinks this way. Or is there a better quality cheese that actually has a good taste for SS ? It look's good in the sausage and I am thinking that that is the selling point? Looks! Any other's see it this way???

I have found if the cheese melts during smoking I cant taste it, I don't mind having a fresh piece of cheese to go on my cracker when I eat it. That's another step I can bypass

Reactions: poacherjoe
I've started using a " super hot " pepper jack made by Hoffman . Not that hot , but adds something for sure . Stays good in the sausage . Cheaper cheese , even if it doesn't melt out during smoking seems to get soft , or break down after the fact .
20181219_130254.jpg

I remember a thread a long while back where someone reported having great success and flavor with Kraft Cheese Crumbles. I have not done this but it is on my list to try... but I rarely make summer sausage these days so it has been very far down on my list lol.

Here are some pics of the the Kraft cheese in question:

large_f1309726-ae5e-49de-a168-593083947acd.JPG
1_1G8mxSr.JPG.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.jpg

My cousin used the crumbles once in regular smoked sausage. It pretty much all melted and kind of made a mess of the smoker. We tried to keep Temps around 160° for our batch of 100# , but it did creep up over 180° a couple times which may have caused it. Regular high temp cheese did not melt.

Shredded or already cubed bagged cheese has an additive to keep it from sticking together . My opinion is it does not work well in summer sausage . Like Al , I buy blocks of good quality cheese and cut it myself .

Thanks for the suggestions ! I might try a better quality like Al suggested but Mike and I are on the same page . The SS is good buy itself and I can buy good cheese to slice and eat with it.

Thanks for the feedback on the crumbles I'll rethink the approach if/when the time comes for me to do some cheese in sausage :)

If you can find some cheese curds, try thos. Way better than hi temp cheese

Not a fan of high temp cheese. I usually add a slice of cheese I smoked on top. Much tastier than the hi-temp stuff

I have been making my SS with the high temp cheese but I really don't taste it in the sausage! I always have sliced cheese and crackers with the SS and I do taste the smoked gouda in this combination. So I am thinking of not using the high temp cheese anymore. I have been reading past posts and it seem'e that I am not the only one that thinks this way. Or is there a better quality cheese that actually has a good taste for SS ? It look's good in the sausage and I am thinking that that is the selling point? Looks! Any other's see it this way???
Maybe your not adding enough? I’ve been doing this 25+ years never had a complaint.

So...I just (last weekend) made a batch of kaesekrainer (Austrian cheese sausage). I made two varieties, sharp Wisconsin cheddar (5 year) and Emmentaler. Neither melted during the smoke, so I consider that a success...wish I had pictures. I cut it up and then put the cheese in the freezer for the hour or so I was prepping and grinding. Added it in the last mix and did NOT put through the grinder/blender - hand mixed it in. Next time I get out to grill I will show pics (I just attached one...decided to have for lunch ;) ).

Here is the full recipe/technique:

Kaesekrainer

Ingredients

• 750g pork shoulder, fatty ( Recommend less pork and more beef ...next time I am going to do 50% or 75% beef)
  • 150g beef
  • 50g bacon (Not sure this is needed; used in my recipe but meh)
  • 200g pork fat
  • 22g Salt
  • 5g Pepper
  • 2.5g Cayenne pepper
  • 2.5g Paprika (sweet smoked)
  • 35g Non fat milk powder
  • 200-300g Emmental Cheese, diced and frozen (about 4 mm cubes)
  • 2.8g Curing salt #1
  • 200ml iced water
Instructions
  • Place the diced pork, beef and bacon in the freezer about an hour ahead of time
  • Dice cheese into 1/4 cubes
  • Place the pork fat in the freezer about 3 hours ahead of time
  • Soak casing now if needed (depends if you use collagen or natural)
  • Cool the metal parts of your grinder and stuffer before use, if possible
  • Remove the diced pork, beef and bacon from the freezer when its got a frozen crust to it
  • Grind the all of the meat into a bowl using the coarse plate. Keep the bowl chilled / in the freezer, whilst you prepare the spices
  • Grind the meat again using the finer plate.
  • Mix all the spice mix ingredients together in a bowl.
  • Add all of the ingredients, to the ground meat, and mix thoroughly, then chill in the freezer for 20 mins. (optional if really cold)
  • Use mixer and beat for 5-8 minutes. Add iced water in small amounts during this process, to keep the temperature down.
  • Add frozen cheese cubes by hand and mix well.
  • Stuff the mixture into the collagen casings and create 8 inch hotdogs
  • Heat in a smoker as per usual.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I've started using a " super hot " pepper jack made by Hoffman . Not that hot , but adds something for sure . Stays good in the sausage . Cheaper cheese , even if it doesn't melt out during smoking seems to get soft , or break down after the fact .
View attachment 413424
How do you make sure the cheese is distributed evenly through entire length?

View attachment 413424
Please tell me where to purchase this Chopsaw. I would like to try it.

Please tell me where to purchase this Chopsaw. I would like to try it.
You looking for the cheese ? You can do a search for Hoffman cheese and include your zip code .
I buy it local . You can try any good quality cheese from the store , or mail order some .

R rulrich55
I just try to get it mixed in evenly before stuffing . Good results most of the time . I think the biggest thing is you have to have the right amount of cheese , but also a big enough cube . I make mine just a little smaller than the stuffer tube diameter .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky