Summer Sausage with cheese question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I am going to make some summer sausage with cheese in the near future. Do I need to add extra cure #1 for the weight of the cheese, or do I just base it on the weight of the meat?

Don

I am using LEM's 1-1/2" dia. x 12" fibrous casings.
I like the smaller casings because the slices are cracker sized. The shorter casings means I don't have to eat 4lbs of it once I open one up.

I will be using hickory, but I opted for habanero cheese. I may throw some cheddar into one of the chubs.

I just made a batch of jalapeno and cheddar SS. I used waltons high temp cheddar, actually my 2 or 3rd batch using their hi temp cheese, works great. I have used the 20"x2.5" casings what came with my kit. I cut it into 3rds and vac seal so I don't have to deal with a 3lb+ sausage. Future I will be using 12/16" casings but will still cut those and vac seal.

Not really the subject of the thread but ill chime in on cheese. I found that the Kraft Crumbles works very well. A 8oz package gives the right amount to a 10# batch. Its a three cheese blend, (Monterey Jack, Colby and Cheddar cheese). Keeping your temp below the rendering temps, no worries for melted cheese. I use a 4x12" fibrous casing, and that yields about a 1.25lb log.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky