Summer sausage soft and sticking to casing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okiecat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
SW Oklahoma
This was my first batch this fall. Started making sausage last year, and really turned out good. We thought we had it all down pat. This is 65% venison and 35% pork trimmings from the butcher. Were using ps seasoning packs and really like em. Done a 25# batch. Using a #8 smoke hollow gas rig. Have to watch low end temp really close or will get too hot! Usually have door cracked and one burner on. The finished sticks look good tight casings and good color. What makes the meat stick to casing? And the stick is a little soft. I pulled at 154'. Using a small casing. 1"x12"

Hey  OC.... High temps could make meat stick to the casings along with casings that are getting past there shelf life and drying out. As for the softness I would lower the fat content to 20 percent.....

Thanks for posting......

Joe

Yes Im doing the cold bath and then hanging at room temp with no drafts for a couple of hours.. Then in to the freezer. The casings could be part of it. They were ordered last nov. Just kept them in a plastic tote with season packs and misc. Like I said, I have trouble with the smoker getting to hot the first 4 hrs. But Ive got that fixed now. Cut up an old zebco camp stove and it fits perfect where the water pan goes. Will be very easy to regulate low heat. Also built and installed a smoke generator on the side. Thanks to all that replyed, I think you got nailed down. Will be smoking another batch in couple of wks. I'll get some pics and post

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky