Summer Sausage Help .. PLEASE !!! small q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goliath

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Terrace BC Canada
hi everyone

i made a moose / pork summer sausage 50/50 and about 80/20 fat ratio with the pork fat.i added in some sliced green olives and high temp cheese.

i basically followed Rytek's venison summer sausage recipe for spices and mixture such as cure, fermento, corn syrup solids and dextrose.

i like the flavor, i think i will use a coarser grind than he has suggested next time. 

NOW THE QUESTION

it is a little more moist than i would like. can i hang it or keep it in the fridge for a few weeks to dry it out?

i have done this is the past with other sausage i had made locally but i am not sure what the formulation was.. really dont want to ruin my own creation.

THANKS FOR HELPING

Just a few days in a paper bag in the fridge will have a huge drying effect. I like summer sausage moist and battle against drying. I wouldn't leave it in more than a week. Freezing also dries or at least changes a moist texture.

OKI DOKI
its in the bags and drying in the fridge...

Troy im afraid i only made 20 pounds and by the time you figure out when its dry enough i could be down to 5....

you are known around here as a HEAVY HITTER BUDDY ...  :0)

THANKS FOR THE HELP

OKI DOKI
its in the bags and drying in the fridge...

Troy im afraid i only made 20 pounds and by the time you figure out when its dry enough i could be down to 5....

you are known around here as a HEAVY HITTER BUDDY ...  :0)

THANKS FOR THE HELP
Which won, the drying or the eating?

HA HA HA
actually drying out nicely but as a buddy says yesterday ..... with the fine grind its kinda like eating "spam or spork"

in return i told him seeing as how he is a NEWFY he should save it for sunday dinner then like when he was a kid ...  LOL
anyways i am convinced i will not use the 1/8" plate next time and do 1/4" grind.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky