Summer Sausage/Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

murraysmokin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 14, 2015
Clinton Township, Michigan
I have been making summer sausage for a bit now. So Friday I made a 25 lb batch half jalapeno/cheddar and half cheddar, 70% venison/30% pork . After I stuffed the cheddar I realized I did not add the pink curing salt...I decided to proceed with my process...which is overnight in the fridge, smoke at 160 for 2.5 hours, Sous vide at 145 for 2.5 hours, and into an ice bath.

My question is should I serve the cheddar that did not have the pink curing salt added to it??? I have eaten it, it has no weird odor and tastes similar to and has the same texture as the one that I added the curing salt to. I will hold off on my personal feelings regarding this as I would like to see what your opinions are regarding this batch.

Reactions: Jmac61
Ideally, if I forgot cure, I'd smoke at 200F for a couple of hours to get smoke flavor and color, then Sous vide at 150F for a couple of hours. I would eat the sausage you made without much concern.

Reactions: Jmac61
You should be fine but it will have short shelf life. Just keep it in the freezer, when thawed eat it in a few days.

200* for couple hours is not going to take it past 145.
200* is like instant fat-out.
Then to SV at 150? More like 180* to bring it to safe and you could be still looking at fat-out.

GL
Are we reading the same recipe?
OP states: smoke at 160 for 2.5 hours, Sous vide at 145 for 2.5 hours, and into an ice bath.
Now maybe a step up of heat would be better, but where are you getting 200?

Are we reading the same recipe?
OP states: smoke at 160 for 2.5 hours, Sous vide at 145 for 2.5 hours, and into an ice bath.
Now maybe a step up of heat would be better, but where are you getting 200?
Post 2.
I'm not getting into a pissing match with ANYONE.

I had literally just watched the above video before reading this thread. I'm sure your issue has been resolved, but for anyone in the future, give it a peek.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky