Summer Sausage Casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdeters69

Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
What kind of casings do you Like?

After the meat is in the casings how does the smoke penetrate the casings to get the smoke flavor into the meat? I will be using a Charcoal smoker to cook this next batch of sausage with the cheese question I had earlier.

Also salmonclubber mentioned something about special meat binder from butcher packer What does this do for your summer sausage.

Thanks

You can use either flat collagen casings or synthetic fibrous casongs. They come in several different sizes.

I like the 3 inch thick synthetic casings. I typically never apply smoke for longer than 4 hours. I don't think it will hurt anything to go longer, but I haven't noticed any sagnificant difference in taste so IMO it's just a waste of wood. One little trick I've learned is to apply smoke after the sausage reaches an internal temp of 90 degrees. This insures that the outside of the casing is good and dry. If the casing is still wet the smoke will not penetrate well.

I don't use a binder with Summer Sausage and have had good results without it. However I do use Soy Protien when making smoked link sausage. Works good. It retains moisture, binds meat and keeps the sausage from losing as much weight after cooked.

Disclaimer: I am do NOT consider myself a sausage expert by any means. But, i have trialed and errored enough to feel confident in making sausage. It sounds like you are getting started with summer sausage and you've already tackled the hardest step.......................Just doing it.

Have fun with it!

I have done it before just not on a smoker. It turns out ok in the oven but everything taste better if it is smoked

I personally like the 1 1/2" X 12" casings. Ends up being about 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" when stuffed. They hold a pound or a little less and the size is just right for slicing to put on a cracker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky