Summer sausage and Snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Mar 22, 2008
Florida
I know I don't post much as far as smoking goes so here's some. Had a good bit of venison in the freezer from last year wife had also picked up some 90/10 ground beef because she wanted snack sticks. We also picked up some cheese to cold smoke that's in a thread in the cheese section. So while the venison was defrosting in the fridge I did the cheese smoke in the smokehouse. Then did the venison grinding added beef fat and pork but 70% venison, 20% beef fat, 10% pork butt mixed about 25 lbs with some seasonings as fresh sausage and gave that to some friends. Added seasoning and cure to the 75 lbs that was left in 25 lb batches. Two batches just got some cheese didn't have any high heat so just used some thick shredded cheddar. The last 25 lb batch got the cheese and some jalapenos. The next day stuffed them, hung them in the smokehouse to dry a bit then fired it up with a blend of pellets in the amazen smokers I run two in the smokehouse because of the size of it. It was cold and windy that day and had problems getting the heat high enough in the smokehouse with the propane burner and finally ended up pulling them at like 147 and finishing in the oven. Then into an ice bath and hung to dry before vacuum sealing them. Didn't get pics of it all as I was doing it alone until stuffing stage but here's what I got.
Hanging in the smokehouse drying
20201226_134847.jpg
Ready for vacuum sealing these are some of the cheese only ones
20210101_101838.jpg

20210101_104416.jpg
and Jalapeno
20210101_110741.jpg
Sliced
20210106_192647.jpg
Had 9 lbs of 90/10 ground beef for the snack sticks and a new never used Cabella's Dehydrator. We had no idea how much the dehydrator would hold. No smoke on this batch (yeah I know crazy wife) Used my electric Cabela's jerky cannon to make the sticks and no casings. Figured out we need more like 25 lbs to fill the racks in this thing
20201227_120022.jpg

20201227_132227.jpg
Vacuum sealed in resealable bags, cheese smoke is in a thread in the cold smoked cheese section
20210101_113131.jpg

Lookin good! My Wife will kill me if I start talking Jerky Cannons and Dehydrators! She wants a Dish Washer...JJ

we just got new dishwasher 4 days ago. from menards the cheapest amana which is same as the whirlpool. $349 and it works great. our old one from 2004 was whirlpool gold. i used the insulation from old and its very quiet and no rinsing dishes

WOW that is a lot of good looking earning there. I’d tera some of that up for sure along with the smoked cheese.

Mighty fine SS and stix and cheese there Jerry.

I remember standing there watching y'all finish your smoker (think i had little too much hooch) so i had to sit down....lol

Looks great! You have been busy! Looks like you're set for awhile

Ryan

WOW. Go big or go home! My batches are typically 2lbs... ALL looks good too!

A dishwasher is an absolute must here. I imagine it is a new install and no electric or cab space and a bigger job. I get that but still would do it. LOL This reminds me... Last time I went to Lowes to get a new one and told the guy which one I wanted. He starts in on how long delivery is and how much to install (they were weeks out). I told him I'm here to pick it up RIGHT NOW and installing myself. The guy got the weirdest look like no one ever told him that before.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks everyone I'd been putting this off for one reason or another so I'm glad it's done. Hunting season is not over but I have not hunted at all so far this year so we'll see if there's more lol

Jerry.. that all looks great.. .nice job .. .

JJ... just tell your wife YOU already have a dishwasher and then duck ...

I remember standing there watching y'all finish your smoker

Rick.. I remember getting there and helped trying to get the pre-hung door to fit... had to trim the door jambs with a sawzall ... LOL

• Haha
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Looks great. That smokehouse is nice. Who ever built it did a great job

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky