Suggestions on transporting a Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plano26

Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Lost in the Desert
Hi Everyone,

Going to smoke a rib roast for Christmas eve and then have to bring it over to someone's house; problem I'm running into is that I need to be at the hosts house at 12:00 noon but they are not going to serve diner until 3:00 pm.

If I smoke it to about med-rare (130ish) then double wrap and put in cooler with towels; how long will it keep at that temp?  Or would it best to smoke it to around 120ish and finish off in their oven then rest?

Just a bit in a muttle on the best way to get this transported; which I don't do very often.  

Any Suggestions/hints/tips are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Hmm that's a good question. My only concern would be if you pull it at 130 will it continue to cook past the point you want it? I think it might be fine at that temp but I just don't know. If you pull it at 130 I wouldn't think it would clime past 140 so you should still have a nice pink center but do you want to risk it and will it still be warm by the time you get there and eat? It might not be a bad idea to do like you suggested and pull the roast at a lower temp and finish it in their oven. I've never had problems keeping meat warm for many hours by foiling it and putting it in a cooler but that's always with butts or brisket where the internal temps are up around 200 degrees and your not trying to keep it around medium. I've never tried to hold a rib roast for many hours to keep it warm AND also keep it pink/red in the center. That's the only thing I'd be worried about. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: plano26
Because of the low temp, 130°F, I don't thing you can expect anything better than 110°F after transportation and the wait to eat. If you are going to serve with a Hot Au Jus or Gravy, see below, this will be fine. If you want hot meat at the table, I would go with option 2. Smoke to 110°, rest on the counter 15 minutes, then wrap in foil/towels and go in the cooler, then finish the cook before eating...JJ

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want. 

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Reactions: plano26
rbranstner/Chef Jimmy J: Thank you for the tips about the temps and transporting; probably will go with option #2 and finish off in the oven.  The smokey Au Jus sound amazing! will have to give that a try.  Thanks again!

Last edited:
I concur that option 2 sounds like your best bet of serving med. rare PR.  And I can give a testimonial on JJ's au jus recipe...Its delicious!

Red

Thanks Red...

Plano26, As I thought about it further, as long as you don't inject anything, pull the meat at an IT of 100°F. Then let it rest tented with foil but not wrapped too tight for 30-45 minutes. This smoking to a lower temp and longer cool down will keep it very rare and give more wiggle room when finishing in the Oven. If you heat in the Oven any where between 225 and 325°F to an IT of 125° then give it another 30 minutes rest, tented, as you finish the Au Jus and the other sides, it will cruise up to 130-135°F and give a perfect Med/Rare..Good Luck and Happy Holidays...JJ

Jimmy has you in the right direction. Yes carry over cooking is a concern, but if you pull at a lower temp you can compensate for it.

The Aus jus Jimmy has you doing is a classic Aus jus. Very yummy! If you want more of a gravy you can blend everything and strain. The vegetables will slightly thicken the sauce.

Good stuff. What time should I be ready to eat? I love smoked prime rib.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky