Suggestions on new Smoker with roughly $2,000 Budget

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brisketandbutts

Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
I recognize that everyone has their own opinions on what type of smoker is best, but I was hoping to get some suggestions on which one people are suggesting. Currently I'm looking into the Horizon 20 inch or the Yoder Wichita, both of which I would add second shelves, a tuning/convection plate, a probe port and a charcoal grate. Both of these brands I have dealers within my general region (southern california, specifically San Diego). Honestly I was set on the Yoder Wichita until I saw some negative reviews involving the air flow. I was hoping to receive everyone elses opinions, or if there are some other brands that I may be missing that fit most of my criteria below.
Here are some of the things I am looking for:
  • Preferably not reverse flow because I like the idea of having the option of cooking different meats at different temperatures if I really want.
  • Option for a second shelf
  • Big enough so I can serve at least 30 people occasionally (off briskets or pork butt
  • Ideally not much more than $2000
  • Ability to add a probe port for my Thermoworks Smoke thermometer
  • Also an option to run as a charcoal grill if I want
  • Lifetime warranty
Also, how necessary does everyone feel the counterweight is? I have never used a smoker with one, and have done just fine, but honestly I have never used as large or as quality of smoker as the ones that I'm looking into getting.

If I had $2000 to use on a smoker this is the one I would choose:
http://www.horizonbbqsmokers.com/backyard-smokers-1/20-ranger-smoker

I really like the fact that you get a good size horizontal cook chamber but then you also have that vertical chamber at the end for lots of other options. To me that's the best of both worlds. Since these guys are the REAL Oklahoma Joe's designers, I know that the design is sound. Like all of the good brands they have 1/4" construction and on the site they say they give a lifetime burnout warranty. I am a bit OCD with my smoker so I'm sure that would last me the rest of my life. Just my opinion.

George

For 2K you could buy one WSM and still have about 1600.00 leftover for food. Out of the box it fit's most of your criteria.

1. WSM isn't reverse flow.
2. 2nd shelf is included
3. Depending on what your cooking 30 people can be done.
4. 399.00 brand new out of the box.
5. Gasketed probe port included.
6. It is a charcoal burner.
7. Not a lifetime, but a great warranty and customer service.

I've never used the brands you mentioned. So I won't offer up any judgement or advice.

Chris

PS.

There is a Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga that has the Horizon smokers on display. I realize that is a long drive from San Diego but it is an option. They are something to see and touch in person. Pretty amazing really. I'd love to have the budget for that. Hopefully, that will be within reach in a year or two.

George

For 2K you could buy one WSM and still have about 1600.00 leftover for food. Out of the box it fit's most of your criteria.

1. WSM isn't reverse flow.
2. 2nd shelf is included
3. Depending on what your cooking 30 people can be done.
4. 399.00 brand new out of the box.
5. Gasketed probe port included.
6. It is a charcoal burner.
7. Not a lifetime, but a great warranty and customer service.

I've never used the brands you mentioned. So I won't offer up any judgement or advice.

Chris
gmc2003 (Chris), I love your enthusiasm when it comes to the Weber. It always makes me laugh. Not in a bad way.

I second the Horizon ranger or the Yoder version. both are great smokers. neither is rev flow but if you were on the east coast i would recommend a Lang. trouble with that is if you get a lang 36 or 48 shipping will eat you up. I have researched but never owned a Yoder or a Horizon but from all i have read they are good smokers. you might be able to find one used and trick it out a little and save a few dollars.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

gmc2003 (Chris), I love your enthusiasm when it comes to the Weber. It always makes me laugh. Not in a bad way.

Thanks dcecil, With all the pellet poopers, MESs and stick burner's being bought these days. Someone has to shamelessly plug the Weber.

Sorry about the hijack BnB.

Chris

Dude....

You need to check out Lone Star Grillz

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Smokers.html

The 20x42 offset is $1695, and the 20x36 is $1595.

I work in Conroe, and they are about 15 minutes away from my job. I've been at their shop a few times, and have started saving my money for a 24x30 smoker. But if I didn't have my heart set on the 24x30 cabinet smoker, The 20x42 would have already been ordered.

Dude....

You need to check out Lone Star Grillz

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Smokers.html

The 20x42 offset is $1695, and the 20x36 is $1595.

I work in Conroe, and they are about 15 minutes away from my job. I've been at their shop a few times, and have started saving my money for a 24x30 smoker. But if I didn't have my heart set on the 24x30 cabinet smoker, The 20x42 would have already been ordered.
I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of guys using this brand smoker. They look very nice and seem to be made incredibly well. Shipping to San Diego might be an issue for the OP and of course there is no first hand examination available to him since he is in San Diego. The second rack gives this smoker a great flexibility in being able to add some extra cooking space. It looks like a winner product to me.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky