Suggestions for green picnic ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Live_Laugh_Smoke

Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
So I've finished home curing a bone in picnic and cold smoked it last night. It's now wrapped in the fridge awaiting its final hot smoke for fathers day. Does anybody have any suggestions on hot smoke procedure. Was going to use LJ sweetwood blend at 200F until internal is 140 to 150 and start glazing to 165. Anybody have any suggestions on this and also a glaze recipe and time? Its 10 lbs.
TIA

Plan on a finished IT of 145-155°.At 165 plus the carryover rest, you a dry stringy texture. I don't bother with a glaze. I place a can of pineapple chunks with juice, a half jar of cherries with juice, a cup of brown sugar, 2Tbs spicy brown mustard and a pinch of ground cloves. When done, remove the ham, combine 1Tbs cornstarch with 2Tbs water. Bring the pan juices to a simmer and slowly stir in the starch slurry, cook to desired thickness. You may not need all the slurry. Serve fruit and sauce on the side...JJ

Here's a 9.41 pound Double Smoked Ham I did with the "Low" 200° Smoker Temp, to get plenty of time for Smoke.
Took it to 145°+ IT. You could take it a little higher if you want, but I wouldn't go above 155° IT either.
Double Smoked Ham

Bear

Awesome...thanks for all the input. Hard too find on google. Most searches come up with IT to 160, but the odd one is 145, with that being the safe pork temp i got pretty confused. Its almost done....hope it turns out good for my pappy...haha

The Safe Temp for Pork used to be 160°, until about 6 or 7 years ago, when they changed it to 145°.

I was so glad, because even my Canadian Bacon used to be a little too Dry at 160°.

Bear

In case anyone is interested, here is when it changed (November 24, 2011):

The National Pork Board recommends cooking Pork to 145 degrees Fahrenheit

May 24, 2011 – New cooking guidelines from the nation’s food-safety agency confirm Pork Checkoff research that shows pork can be consumed safely when cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a three-minute rest time. The guidelines were announced today by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS).
The new recommended temperature is a significant 15 degrees less than what was previously recommended and typically will yield a finished product that is pinker in color than most home cooks are accustomed to.

Bear

Thanks guys...my ham came out horrible. Took it to 150 and took it off. Rested in foil for about an hour. It was soooooo salty, however i did a fry test and it was ok. Maybe hot smoke intensifies it. Also parts were so rubbery could not be eaten. Maybe cause i was basting from the beginning. Wanted a good crust. Was honey, dijon, apple juice, brown sugar. Smelled great....but was horrible. I have 4 picnics in the freezer and don't think ill try again. It was that bad. Was supposed to be a fathers day gift of sorts.....i feel pretty bad.

Take care guys. Any comments/suggeations are welcomed greatly

Sorry it didn't turn out how you hoped. You can always put that puppy in a food processor and make ham salad with it.

Chris

I'd like to know more detail on what you did . What method did you use to cure and for how long ?
Was it injected around the bone ?
What smoker and therm are you using ?
You started the smoker at 200 ?
Shame it didn't come out , but figure out where you think it went wrong and adjust . I read , and researched for a very long time before I tried it . With the help Of Dave I have had great results . Better than ever expected . Look thru the link he posted and try again .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky