1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Stupidity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krj, May 15, 2019.

1. krj

krj Meat Mopper

Was browsing imgur today and came across this. I can't even deal with how dumb this is. Honestly, this is what keeps me up at night thinking about first time cookers trying their hand at this hobby. They find this crap info and turn out something horrible, and then just give up completely. That scares me.

[​IMG]

Bearcarver and Smiller15 like this.
  2. motolife313

motolife313 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like a decent guide to get someone started to me.

3. Smiller15

Smiller15 Newbie

I'd still say I'm a novice but even as so I know offhand I leave my brisket on until about 195 internal temp and pork butt around 200. Haven't really tried a lot of other things on that list yet.

motolife313 likes this.
  4. krj

krj Meat Mopper

You might wanna look at the finished temps again. You want people cooking a brisket to 175 or butts to 165? Are these the "safe" doneness temps? Yes, but those temps are far and away from what those cuts need to be brought to.

JC in GB likes this.
  5. motolife313

motolife313 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Ya the brisket and butt was a little off lol. Everything else is close so it ain’t that bad

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Depends on how you look at it pork butt for slicing and not pulled would be a little over cooked as 145 is new guide line. Poultry breast 165 is good legs and thighs no so as said depends on what your doing.

Warren

7. ristau5741

ristau5741 Meat Mopper

the bone in chicken to 165 bothers me. s/b 175 just to be on the safe side. Boneless chicken at 165 should be ok.

whole chicken at 210 for 4 hours, to 165. not realistic. other stuff looks fairly good tho

8. bregent

bregent Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Most of it sounds reasonable, although not the way most of us here prefer to cook it. 165 for sliceable pork butt certainly works. I've had brisket in some parts of the US that was sliced very thin and still not fall apart tender, so cooking to 175F would probably get you there. All the chicken looks fine, though I prefer dark meat a little higher.

The only thing that I think would not work at all is the beef ribs. No way they'll be done in 3-4 hours at 225. They would be safe to eat, if you could manage to gnaw them off the bone, but not enjoyable.

JC in GB likes this.
  9. Medina Joe

Medina Joe Smoke Blower

It not to far off. Quoting the great Forest Gump. (Stupid is a Stupid does).

10. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Yup, This is what happens when people get all of their knowledge from reading, and then come here & think they know everything. There are a lot of Awesome Meat Smokers on this forum, & I'd take most of their advice before I'd go by what it says on some Web Site.

Bear

Attached Files:

chopsaw likes this.
  11. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

It's everywhere . To much reading , not enough doin .

Bearcarver likes this.