Stupid Wannabe Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john in ny

Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
New York
My apologies if this has been richly discussed before, but I couldn't find the topic in a search. And really asking it is a bit of a true rook' question.

Still I'm just now considering getting a WSM to start smoking. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with having these on a wood deck and if the heat with the metal legs caused any issues. You know like burning down your deck or even burning into the deck after prolonged use.

Really appreciate the fact that you laughed in silence and any response I might garner.

Cheers,
John

Hi John! Sorry I use propane on a concrete patio but I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question. There are a lot of WSM owners here. I do know you can get "grill mats" at places like Home depot and there are some other options to place under the smoker that are heat resistant.

I see this is your first post so when you get a minute would you swing by "roll call" and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper Welcome. Thanks!

I don't have any experience on a wood deck or with the WSM but some of the guys with atleast some WSM experience will chime in soon to help you out.

Hi John,

I have used my 22.5 WSM on a wooden deck with no issues. The legs don't really seem to get very warm and there is a heat shield on the 22.5. I can't speak for the 18 because i don't have one(yet). If you were really concerned about the heat you could always put a patio block under the smoker for extra protection. Well what ever you decide have fun with it. Oh i love the WSM and i am very partial to it lol.

I have a Smoke Vault 24.  Just to be safe, I put an oversize piece of fire proof sheetrock under it, but I don't think it's really needed.

I would think the most dangerous time on a wood deck would be when you are lighting the charcoal in the chimney starter.  That is the only time when you have signficant flame exposure.  As long as you are careful at that stage, I would think you are fine. The outside of the WSM gets hot but not so hot that you would expect any danger to the deck floor or any railings.  I would keep it at least 1 or 2 feet away from anything, but that is just me.  I know others that have an 18.5 WSM on their decks with no problems.   

Your caution is valid.  I've had no issues using the WSM on a wood deck but I use those BBQ mats sold at Lowes.  However, I did have a piece of lump stick in a chimney that I didn't notice and burnt into a deck.  Now, I place the chimney on an alum lid with a lip placed on a brick which is on top of those mats.

019a67a9_IMG_0732.jpg

Thank you all for the great feedback. I will take the advice on the mats as well as caution while using the chimney. Love the pics too. Wanted to make sure I could keep it convenient and it sounds like that will be no problem.

Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky