Stuffing the sausage the night before smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steve079

Original poster
Oct 15, 2016
Central California
       Have some meat ground up and ready to stuff.  I was going to stuff it tonight, so I can get it going early tomorrow morning.  Any problem stuffing it the night before?  Should I wrap in while its in the fridge, or leave it out, to dry?  I'm thinking I need to get it to room temp before cooking?  It's chorizo, with cure #1 incorporated into the mix. 

Thank you!

I stuff my sausage the day before and let it sit in frig 24 hours before smoking I let it sit out for 30-45 mins to get room temp before smoking

Yep, x3 on the above. 

The only exception would be anything to which you have added ECA (encapsulated citric acid) for that fermented twang flavor. 99% of "sausage" does not use ECA, but there are a few exceptions (not to mention snack sticks).  If it has ECA, it should be smoked right after stuffing.  Otherwise, you can actually go for days if stored property in the fridge before smoking (think about stuffed raw sausage you buy at the store, you don't rush home to cook it right away do you?).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky