Stuffers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
I'm considering buying a stuffer. The horizontal stuffers look like they would be the most efficient and easiest to clean up. Small batches around 10 lbs or so.

Pros and Cons of vertical vs. horizontal from some of you folks that have used them frequently would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a horizontal Hakka, 7 pound/3L, that works very well for me. It is heavy enough to stay put on the counter and doesn't need to be clamped down. Since it is only me, it makes it very manageable to turn the handle with my right hand and guide the casing/sausage with the left. I don't make a lot of sausages so the manual model (vs electric) is all I need. Hope that helps a little :)

I use a 20lb electric stuffer I got from Cabelas around 16-17 years back, it works OK, a lot to clean. I can't turn the crank on a standard stuffer, both shoulders are full of arthritis and candidates for replacement surgery. If I had my druthers and good shoulders I'd get a F.Dick stuffer, made in America, last a lifetime. Most everything else is made in China these days, will last until it breaks, then just toss it. Like everything else you will get what you pay for. RAY

Reactions: kelbro
This has been discussed numerous times... My two cents to them all is to stay away from the verticals that have the elbow coming out of the bottom of the canister... They leave a lot of meat that can't be stuffed into the casing... Instead choose one with the stuffing tube coming out the side at the very bottom...

Also... Choose stuffers with the metal gears instead of the plastic (neoprene) gears as they strip out after a while ...

I have the LEM 5lb mighty bite with the enclosed gears ...

Reactions: boykjo
I'm considering buying a stuffer. The horizontal stuffers look like they would be the most efficient and easiest to clean up. Small batches around 10 lbs or so.

Pros and Cons of vertical vs. horizontal from some of you folks that have used them frequently would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I did a good bit of research. Bought a vertical. Here are some considerations:
1. Stuffers have a lot or torque and force applied to them. They want to flop around on counter. On a horizontal, any movements at counter edge gets multiplied out at the tube end where you are trying to delicately control casing pressure.
2. Due to horizontal spacing, your arms are more spread in use, harder to crank while leaning over your casing watching it closely.
3. Horizontal take up more counter space.
4. Most all higher end models at US distributors are vertical, so easier for parts and more competition for good design.
5. I ended up buying the 15lb vertical stuffer from meatyourmaker.com. It looks the exact same as the new 5, 10, and 15 lb Heavy duty stuffers from thesausagemaker.com. It is 100% metal, all gearing is steel they say. I have easily been able to make snacksticks with 10mm tube. Many stuffers 15lb or bigger, you can't exert force to use a 10mm due to gearing, ratio of plunger to tube, crank arm length etc.
6. Mostly happy with it, though a few issues, I did a review on their site. Would buy again.
7. They most all come with poor plastic tubes. Most have a taper, so don't work well with collagen casings. You will want to replace with stainless tubes. Knowing tube base diameter and replacement availability is critical! Many low end Chinese don't have good support for tube sizings... it is NOT STANDARDIZED!
8. The 2 sizes most seen are 1-9/16, and 2-1/8". However, all of these Heavy Duty all metal geared ones that I have, which they are all buying from China and rebranding, have a 2" base. Have only found ONE actual 2" base stainless tube online, hundreds that say 2" are actually larger and don't fit, when you read comments. If you have a grinder, they can be ground down in 2 or 3 minutes easy.
9. Seal... you want one with a silicone O ring, not one with wierd flanged lips! The O ring ones actually seal and don't let meat pass piston, the flanged ones can only be purchases from... well usually no one after 2 or 3 years when that Chinese product drops from US reseller lineup! They seal poorly and when they break, you will be hard pressed to replace.
10. Sizing. Smaller diameter piston is easier to crank and lets you do 10mm tube for sticks easier. I got the only 15lb one rated for snack sticks... it doesn't really hold 15 lb! I made a 14lb batch, had to refill it. So, think about your batch size, and whether you will refill it anyways. Refilling is a pain, but doable. But smaller units are easier to clean in sink. I might go 10 lb, but would NOT go 5 lb, as even a small batch won't fit.
11. Cleaning... look at cylinder height in specs. Then measure your dishwasher... it is nice to be able to toss stainless cylinder into DW for sterilization. The narrow diam tall ones won't fit. My squatty 15lb one juust fits in a standard GE or Kitchenaid DW without blocking spray arm. It's a small thing, but nice.
12. Dual speed, high speed etc. Some stuffers have a gear or handle spot to let you rapidly raise and lower piston down to meat. Not needed. On mine, an 18mm socket fits drive shaft, just use a drill/driver to spin piston up and down. Won't drive when against meat, but makes filling and reloading etc fast and easy, reduces gearing parts to break.

Hope those points help.

Moderator... how many posts, or how long, until my posts don't sit waiting for moderator approval before showing up? Makes it hard to participate in a thread in timely manner. Thx!

Reactions: sawhorseray
This has been discussed numerous times... My two cents to them all is to stay away from the verticals that have the elbow coming out of the bottom of the canister... They leave a lot of meat that can't be stuffed into the casing... Instead choose one with the stuffing tube coming out the side at the very bottom...

Also... Choose stuffers with the metal gears instead of the plastic (neoprene) gears as they strip out after a while ...

I have the LEM 5lb mighty bite with the enclosed gears ...
This is a good point. I went with the Meat! 15lb stuffer in part due to this bottom tube placement. However, I still get about 2 to 3 brats worth of meat left in stuffer.
I like the LEM mighty bite 5lb, and their 15lb if you will never do snacksticks. I like the sausagemaker and meatyourmaker.com Heavy Duty 5/10/15 lb stuffers, both companies are selling same thing with different paintjob. All of these but the LEM 15lb will do snacksticks, have O ring, have all metal hardened steel gears, are all metal construction, have offset side exit for meat, have exposed crank drive you can run up and down with a socket and drill, OR USE A SOCKET WRENCH TO STUFF so all motion is on the vertical downstroke towards counter for easy stuffing, and cylinder will fit in a dishwasher.

For those with vertical pipe exit, here is a nice little closed cell foam egg you can use to get that meat out and into your casings, super useful!
61f31611dbdfd714314216__98361.jpg

Last edited:
LEM 5 pound stuffer for small batches hands down. Easy to use, cleaning isn't horrible, and no elbow at the outlet to waste batter and make it harder to clean.

LEM 5 pound stuffer for small batches hands down. Easy to use, cleaning isn't horrible, and no elbow at the outlet to waste batter and make it harder to clean.
On top of that, LEM makes a cheese press canister that fits on the 5lb stuffers .......... something I may be interested in, but IDK if I need any more rabbit holes to go down.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Moderator... how many posts, or how long, until my posts don't sit waiting for moderator approval before showing up? Makes it hard to participate in a thread in timely manner. Thx!
Be patient, they'll catch up, you are making some rock solid points. RAY

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I missed a smokin' deal on a Hakka the other day and have been looking seriously at the LEM also. I just noticed the design of the horizontals and thought that it made more sense for small batches. Again, thanks!

Good Deal... A little something something to make things smoother... Put your premixed/cured mince out to warm up for an hour or two before stuffing...

Good Luck... ask if you don't know ...

Reactions: kelbro
Stuffed about 5# of snack sticks this evening. LEM smoked collagen 21mm. It took a little bit to get them snugly packed consistently. Into the fridge to cure overnight.

I had about 3/4# of meat left over after I ran through of the pre-cut batch of casing (LEM 5# kit). Is that normal for the LEM tubes or does that mean that I didn't stuff them full enough?

Did you have any blow outs ? If not, stuff tighter next time until you do... This will give you an idea of how tight you can go ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky