Stuffed Saddle of Rabbit and Bacon Wrapped Wino Rabbit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Yesterday while at one of my favorite local butcher shops, picking out some tasty sausages, I picked out a fat young rabbit.

BbpWGKK.jpg

I started by removing the fore and hind legs, then separated the saddle and deboned it.
I then cleaned up all the meat off the carcass, minced it, and then set it aside to make a meat stuffing.
The rest of the carcass was cut up to make a stock for the stuffing and a gravy.

For the stock I browned the pieces in butter, then added minced celery, onion, carrot and a little parsley and rosemary and continued till veggies were tender.
Added 2C of water and brought to a fast simmer, simmered for several hours.
Strain and reduce, add a little more butter and salt to taste.
Add a little cornstarch/water to thicken.

CihNEnl.jpg

To make the stuffing the minced rabbit was browned in butter with celery, onion and parsley.
Then combined with some bread crumbs, whisked egg, rabbit stock, milk and salt.

9Nyi98m.jpg

Bacon Wrapped Wino Rabbit
I set the fore and hind legs to marinating in:
2C Red wine
.5C Honey
1/8C chopped Parsley
1/8C chopped Rosemary
2T Lemon zest
2T salt
1 Bay leaf
Combine all in a small sauce pan and bring to a slow boil.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Add legs and marinade together in a Ziploc and marinate for 6-12 hours.
They were then wrapped in bacon and fried in olive oil and butter to crisp the bacon, and then transferred to the 375° oven with the Stuffed Saddle to finish.

rOB2SdV.jpg

p83vHfD.jpg

ZvFJE0L.jpg

Stuffed Saddle of Rabbit
I laid down bacon and fresh basil, upon this the boneless saddle.
Seasoned with some fresh ground garlic/pepper medley, and then the stuffing.
Rolled it all up and trussed it with twine.

4jwsk8V.jpg

This roll was fried in olive oil and butter to crisp the bacon and then transferred to the 375° oven with the Wino Rabbit to finish.
Both the Saddle and Wino were cooked to a minimum 160° IT.
The Stuffed Saddle was sliced and served with the gravy.

P1jNeGq.jpg

AH0XUUP.jpg

My younger son plated his with some carrots and started laughing, he said, "Now this is ironic."

wz0Qcye.jpg

Last edited:
Damn Chili, I may have to try a little harder to eliminate my garden shredders. That looks pretty good.

Looks Great, John!!
LOL---Carrots with Rabbit!!
I'm betting Poor Eye sight is the least of that Bunny's worries right now!!
Like.

Bear

Wow that looks great!! The 40 rabbits that hang out in my back yard better look out!! LOL

john just dayum!...........u should have a cooking show........point for sure!
Thanks.
No sir, that'd become work.
Damn Chili, I may have to try a little harder to eliminate my garden shredders. That looks pretty good.
I'd help with'em if you were closer... Them bunnies are good eating for sure.
Perfect ending for that wascally wabbit.
"A vewy tasty ending... Huh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh".

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Dang, you can find almost anything on the "Tube". Just watched a couple vids on deboning the saddle. They sure make it look easy. Might have to get back to hunting rabbits.

Looks Great, John!!
LOL---Carrots with Rabbit!!
I'm betting Poor Eye sight is the least of that Bunny's worries right now!!
Like.

Bear
Thank you Mr. Bear.
Wow that looks great!! The 40 rabbits that hang out in my back yard better look out!! LOL
Many thanks... Go get'em!
Wish I lived closer, I'd have you show me how to de-bone the saddle.Sounds like some tricky knifework.
It is, and I need a lot of practice.
I don't know how anyone gets if off the backbone in one unbroken piece.

Wow nice job CR!
Appreciate it.
Very nice play by play with pics. Chile! Looks fantabulous!
Thank you.
I am not a fan of rabbit, but your recipe looks like I would have to try it again. Like!
Thanks, the way I prepared that saddle you'd be trying to figure out if it was pork or turkey.
My first thought after how good it was was, "This taste like Thanksgiving."
Turkey and Stuffing topped with Gravy.

Last edited:
Chile, very nice rabbit. I have a new recipe to try. thank you
Thanks MJ, glad you like.
Do try it, quite a nice dish.
Dang, you can find almost anything on the "Tube". Just watched a couple vids on deboning the saddle. They sure make it look easy. Might have to get back to hunting rabbits.
I made a bit of a hack job deboning mine. But like the guy who's video I watched, he said to just overlap the loins or lay the tenderloins in there and let the bacon hide it.
Worked for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky