Stuffed Meatloaf rings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
This Friday I am planning to smoke some Macaroni & Cheese stuffed meatloaf.
I am going to line (2) bundt cake pans with plastic wrap, lay down some meatloaf mix. Then fill with cooked & warm, fresh from the oven mac & cheese. Then cover & seal(hopefully egg and pinching works) with more meatloaf mix. Flip the rings over onto a foil lined rack sitting on sheet pans.
Then off to the new MES40 with hickory chips @ 275°.
Once done, back into the pans for transport.

Hopefully I get a chance to take a picture of it sliced open.

If anyone has any tips for me, feel free to chime in.

Don

GENIUS! Can`t wait to see how this turns out!! I am going to have to make a few of these this summer for sure! My thoughts would be adding cold maybe even partially frozen mac n cheese. That way by the time its warm enough to serve the meat will be cooked.

Do you think you will be able to flip it before its cooked ? I think if I would try and cook it I would leave it in the pan

I should be able to flip it. With the pan lined with plastic wrap, it will release easy. If I put a layer of foil on top of the "bottom", then put a wrack on that, it should catch it easy enough. Just like flipping out a cake.
Now for the question of "Will it hold together while smoking?" I don't know.
I could hedge my bets and line the pans with foil instead of plastic wrap, and bake in the pan for a little while to firm things up, then flip them out.

Don

I smoke meatloafs all the time. I never flip them. Before I had to switch to an MES, I purchased one of those small grills that the small weber uses. Usually at a home center for a few buck. Cheap one works. Then I take a medium stainless steel bowl, put half the meat mixture in that, press it down and form it leaving an indentation in it for what ever stuffing I am going to use. Then I put the stuffing in and then the other half of the ground meat I press till it seals all the edges and make it flat. Then I take the small grill and put on top of the bowl, flip the whole thing on to the grill and put in the smoker. On an MES you just have to use one of your existing little grates in the MES. Here's a picture of one I did some time back.

Attachments

• stuffedmeatloaf-5.jpg
    stuffedmeatloaf-5.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 84
  • stuffedmeatloaf-3.jpg
    stuffedmeatloaf-3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 84
Sorry for the double post... brain fart on uploads.

Attachments

• stuffedmeatloaf-1.jpg
    stuffedmeatloaf-1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 81
  • stuffedmeatloaf-2.jpg
    stuffedmeatloaf-2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 81
This is really interesting! Unique idea! Right up my ally!

I'd make sure the meat is at least 20% fat.

I might line the bundt pan with plastic wrap to help get it out later. (Maybe line with bacon...). Work the meat up the sides. Fill with cooled mac n cheese. Put the meat on top to meet the meat from the sides. Then chill it overnight or a few hours to help set the shape.

You might also consider parbaking it in the pan, even in the oven, then moving to smoker to finish (without plastic wrap). Here's an example with a video:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/tasty.co/recipe/bacon-wrapped-mashed-potato-stuffed-meatloaf

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, at least on mine, they were all done on a UDS. We are in transition from house to townhome, so right now in an apartment using an MES electric.

Sounds like an epic meatloaf smoke and can’t wait to see the glorious results. Once it’s smoked though, it’s liable to distortion and shrinkage so putting it back in the bundt pan my be a challenge. Good luck.

Have fun, I've seen people use bundt pans for making fatties before, and they looked wonderful.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky