Strange Question???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PNHuber

Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
As I struggled to stay awake last night while smoking a pork shoulder, was up at 4AM, put shoulder on at 8 AM, ran tractor all day. There was a stall at about 143 degrees IT then another at 176 degrees, each about an hour, last was at 8 PM, then I started to wonder if I just took it off and put it in the refrigerator, then put it back on in the morning, brought it back to temp and finished it off would it hurt anything? Other than the extra time, would the results be ok, kind of like a Sous Vide long and slow or would it ruin the meat. Got to bed around midnight, I’m getting too old for that kind of thing.

Only problem with start and stop, is at 225, it takes the same 12 hours the second run to reheat. Not worth the time. Put the pork in a 325°F Oven and reheat/finish there. Will be around 1 hour a pound to get to 205. For a faster result cut the Roast in 4+ pieces, add some Apple juice or other, cover and you will be done in half the time. You sacrifice bark but it will be super juicy...JJ

You can also set your oven for the temp you were running the pit at or set it at your target temp if you have a long time to go,cover it and you will be hard pressed to over cook it when set at your target temp of say 205.

Thanks, didn’t think like that, just so tired. Then I woke up at 3AM thinking I forgot to secure the chickens and had to go out and check my coops. Did, just forgot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky