Strange AAA Baseball Opening Day Dog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Sooo, today is opening day for the local AAA baseball team for the SF Giants, the Sacramento River Cats. On this morning's news they detailed a new hot dog offering at the park that hit my weak spot: a combination of sweet and savory. My wife wanted to gag, but I absolutely had to try it.

I changed their offering a bit, but man oh man, I have a new favorite dog.

Nathan's Collosal Dog.
Bun
Mascarpone cheese on one side of the bun.
Raspberry jam of the other side.
Dog topped with chopped onions and 3 chopped strips of crispy bacon.

It's a bit of a hot mess to eat, but wow. Thank you, River Cats! I'll be eating one soon at the park.
20220405_181824.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I was there, too. My standard dog is mustard, onion, and sweet relish. Chili on a rare occasion. But today, I couldn' stop myself. And I'm glad I didn't. Interesting and totally unexpected balance of flavors.

Oh man I want to try that! When my uncle lived in Chicago he would take us to a “Gourmet” Hot Dog place and they had crazy stuff like this. I hadn’t thought about that in a while, wish I could remember some. That looks like a really fun treat though and I think that sounds/looks awesome!

Reactions: noboundaries
Wow! We are Giants fans. We are looking forward to stopping in Sacramento to see a game this summer. Dogs and a beer with baseball. Doesn't get better!

One of my daughters read this post and said it sounds like a twist on the Monte Cristo, my favorite hot sandwich. NOW it makes sense! The name the ballpark gave it made no sense to me. They called it a Diablo Dog, I think. Should have called it a Doggie Cristo, or a Dinger Cristo, or a Monte Doggie, or Dinger Monte.

Last edited:
I thought a big yum until you said Nathan's.
I love quality hot dogs, but Nathan's is not on the list. Just don't care for them even though they beat the pants off most other brands. I'm hooked on Costco dinner franks.

I don't see that sandwich resembling a Monte Christo or any bad interpretation I've eaten in my life.

Post back when you try one

Reactions: PPG1
Oh man I want to try that! When my uncle lived in Chicago he would take us to a “Gourmet” Hot Dog place and they had crazy stuff like this. I hadn’t thought about that in a while, wish I could remember some. That looks like a really fun treat though and I think that sounds/looks awesome!
Until I tried this combo, I honestly cannot remember the time I put anything on a dog but mustard, onions, and sweet relish. The other flavors kinda take over and the dog gets lost in the flavor forest. Here, it plays well with the others. I'll use a little less bacon next time, which will probably be lunch today.

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
I thought a big yum until you said Nathan's.
I love quality hot dogs, but Nathan's is not on the list. Just don't care for them even though they beat the pants off most other brands. I'm hooked on Costco dinner franks.

I don't see that sandwich resembling a Monte Christo or any bad interpretation I've eaten in my life.

Post back when you try one
I'm right there with you on Nathan's and the Costco dogs. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to deal with the parking nightmare and lines at my local Costco just to buy dogs. The sad truth is that Nathan's is the best offering from the local grocers.

A Monte Cristo is a culinary explosion of flavors in the mouth. When done right it hits all regions of the tongue and senses like a food orchestra. The ham, cheese, coating, powdered sugar, sweet bread, and strawberry or raspberry jam is a pure delight. This kinda does the same thing, too.

My daughter actually remembered seeing me eat a Monte Cristo at Disneyland when she was like 3 or 4 yrs old. We've both eaten plenty since then.

Happy eatin', happy memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Wow! We are Giants fans. We are looking forward to stopping in Sacramento to see a game this summer. Dogs and a beer with baseball. Doesn't get better!
2019 was the last time we've been to a game there due to the virus. It's a GREAT ballpark. They have 25 games that include fireworks after the last out. Fun place. Great dogs. Cold beer. Ahhhhh....

Reactions: OldSmoke
I’d have to try it. If nothing else to say I did. (See mini donut beer, tried it to try it. BLAH)
I would try one.
Yup , Me too . I bet it's good .
Hope it comes with a fork! I'd try it "just because".
Jim
Hell, I'll try anything once!!
Second time is "iffy".

Bear
Thanks, all.

Like I said earlier, it was a hot mess to try and eat. Required a knife and fork. It I make one today, I'll wrap the dog in bacon instead of using the chopped. Hmmm...might have to have one for breakfast!

Ray

I would much rather go to our minor league team "The LI Ducks"

When I was growing up, we went to Dodger games at Chavez Ravine. Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax are heros of my childhood. Traffic nightmare getting in and out of there, but that place was a baseball cathedral to me. The few times I've been back as an adult, I still get that feeling of awe I felt as a kid.

No current baseball heros, and now a Giants fan due to proximity, but like you, the AAA park is a much more relaxed and enjoyable experience. And it's the only place I've ever caught a foul ball!

20220406_091137.jpg

Last edited:
When I was growing up, we went to Dodger games at Chavez Ravine. Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax are heros of my childhood. Traffic nightmare getting in and out of there, but that place was a baseball cathedral to me. The few times I've been back as an adult, I still get that feeling of awe I felt as a kid.

No current baseball heros, and now a Giants fan due to proximity, but like you, the AAA park is a much more relaxed and enjoyable experience. And it's the only place I've ever caught a foul ball!

View attachment 628365
I have caught one also but gave it to the little kid I beat out for it. It was just a reaction I grabbed it, had I seen him I would have let it go. I have also seen too many fans there get a line drive foul in the face or chest only to be carried out of the stadium. Otherwise it fairly relaxed with picnic areas and family oriented.

One Saturday my wife's company rented out the stadium for a business event and they brought in Mariano Rivera to pitch wiffle balls to the kids for fun. You could only imagine the spin and curves he did with that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky