Stove rope

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scrappynadds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Waterloo IL
I have seen stove rope installed with screws (not sure how that works) and i have seen it installed with sealant. I would like to here from both sides as to how they are holding up and what SMF members recommend.... Thanx

Scrappy, I just built a fridge and glued the stove rope. The glue appears to be holding up fine, but I have only used it for 2 weeks..

I used the glue that came with my rope on my smoker. it lasted around 6 months before it fell off. I tried to reattach with high temp silicone and that didn't stick to the glue impregnated rope. I am going to buy new rope and try again with high temp silicone. I wounder about the screw idea, I would think it would leave gaps.

Just went thru the same thing

Once the glue heats up, it becomes brittle

It's also water soluble, so a little bit of moisture and the glue disintegrates

I ended up throwing away my first attempt, and using High Temp Silicone the second time

Save yourself the headache, and use High Temp Silicone first

Throw the other adhesive away!

Todd

I've used heat resistant silicone on flue joints and was berated by several members of this forum saying 'it won't work - don't use it anywhere near a stove, etc'.
In fairness, when burning hard, your flue pipe can get up to much higher temps than the silicone is supposed to cope with. Somebody had the stuff melt and fall out of the joints.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky