Storms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
As you all have seen the storms in the US have been destroying lots of homes and businesses. Please remember to pray all of our members in those areas. Im sure the affected ones will appreciate it.

Looks like they Wreaked Havoc in the South Yesterday.  News said, "231 Dead".

We have been thinking & praying for those unfortunate folks who are in this weather nightmare. This weather has been crazy lately. We haven't had a hurricane down here in a few years, I wonder if this is going to be the year. I have to get a generator. Any of you guys know how small a generator I could get to just power 1 freezer & 1 refrigerator. I think I would only have to run it for a couple of hours every 6-8 hours to keep everything from spoiling. I have a freezer full of meat & it would be such a waste to loose it all. I keep telling Judy we need to start eating what's in there before hurricane season, but it seems like there is always some sale on something going on, so instead of slowly clearing it out we keep adding more.

Al,

I have a 5500 w generator and can run 2 freezers , fridge ,tv , puter, light and 5000 btu window unit. Also run an electric skillet but have to turn off the AC till the skillet heats up.

If you can afford it. Get a whole house natural gas generator and be done w/ it. Automatic transfer switch and you never loose power. Three hurricanes and i'm out over $1500  in gasoline to run my protable generator.

Al,

I have a 5500 w generator and can run 2 freezers , fridge ,tv , puter, light and 5000 btu window unit. Also run an electric skillet but have to turn off the AC till the skillet heats up.

If you can afford it. Get a whole house natural gas generator and be done w/ it. Automatic transfer switch and you never loose power. Three hurricanes and i'm out over $1500  in gasoline to run my protable generator.
Thanks eman, I had a whole house natural gas generator in my home in Ft. Lauderdale, and you are right it's really the best option. I ran it for 8 straight days 24/7 one time without a hitch. But now I'm right in the middle of Central FL & by the time the hurricanes get here they have usually calmed down quite a bit. I've been here 6 years, 35 years in Ft. Lauderdale. We haven't lost electricity once in 6 years here. So I thought to be on the safe side I would just get a small generator to keep the food from spoiling.

icon_cool.gif

I don't know Al I've been in Sebring after the last big storm and it rip Sebring a new one. I also have a 5000 generator like Bob and I have my panel box ready to plug in too. I had a SIL who was an electrician like bob is. In Florida I think that you should have one but thats a personal thing. All thoses folks are in our prays and I hope that they can get back on their feet soon too.

Al those small Honda`s are great and are GREAT on gas.
Thats X2 for the Honda 2000i or even the 3000i.  It is a real workhorse and more than ample to run the minimum equipment you're mentioning.  One caution though, if you plan on running a/c, the 2000i will not be adequate for the load after adding an a/c.  And, it's reasonably quiet.

Al   ive got five generators and have used them all at different times and on different jobs,  my favorite is the small honda cause its lightweight and uses very ,  little gas and you can hardly hear it when its on, it will run what you want,   if you want a little larger one that could run the house (excluding the ac) get about a 5000 kw and have an electrician hook up a plug and switch to your electric panel,  if you shop home depot alot they usually have sales on these for cheaper than the small hondas  but they are a lot louder. but there is a small joy during power outage when your house is lit up and the neighbors are running candles and coming to you asking for ice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky