Storing hog casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
So apparently my casings arrived.  I will check them out tonight! 

Just a question - am I able to pull out the casings I need or do I need to soak the entire lot each time I want to make some sausages?  I will make 5lb max at a time (I'm guessing), so that leaves a lot of left over casing.

If I cant pull out a strand at a time and need to soak the lot, how do I then put them away for storage?  Pack in salt?  If so, how much salt?  Then put in fridge?  I'm worried I wont do it correctly and they will go rancid and bring the grim reaper to my doorstep again haha.

Thanks.

Pull out what you think you will use,try to soak them for 24  hrs..What ever you do not use as long as they did not tough meat.Put back in bag after draing.

Richie

Cool thanks.  Sounds like I can pull the strands out one by one then.  So then whatever of those I dont use, shall I put them in a zip lock bag and pack with kosher salt (i.e keep them separate to be safe)?  Do you store them in a fridge?

I soak the whole hank then what I don't use I put in a container with 1/2 cup salt.

Cool thanks.  Sounds like I can pull the strands out one by one then.  So then whatever of those I dont use, shall I put them in a zip lock bag and pack with kosher salt (i.e keep them separate to be safe)?  Do you store them in a fridge?
Yes you can do that,after a while you will have a good idea as to how many to take out.

Richie

Thanks guys.  Im really looking forward to expanding my smoking hoping into sausages.  Im so glad I found this site.  It's been great.

Oh, good luck pulling one piece out of the hank.

How many /lb does a hank make?  I think this pack makes 20-25lbs and I recall somewhere it was 1/4 hank.  Does this sound right?

Sounds bout right. I think a hank does bout 100 lb

Cool thanks.  I'll probably buy bulk next time once I figure out WTF I'm doing.  A hank in this case would cost $36 after tax/ship.  Waltons would be $31, not exactly a huge saving for buying in bulk.  These ones I bought would go down to $29 if I bought the whole hank.

Where do you guys source cheap, quality casings? 

Last edited:

Quality doesn't come cheap.
If you go to one of the large supply companies you'll get quality. Walton's, Butcher & Packer, The Sausage Maker and Syracuse Casings are who I have used.

You might find that the bag you have will contain odd length pieces, varying in diameter which will work, but you'll be much happier when you start using quality casings.
A hank of 32-35's will case 125 pounds of sausage. Store in the frig packed in salt, then take out what you need each time you need some. they will last a year or two easy.

As far as the video goes, I'd go a couple hours minimum when soaking them, a half hour seems short to me. I usually rinse them the night before and refig them in the water overnight.
A lot of people use vinegar, I'm not really sold on the idea, I've tried it a few times and can't say I noticed a difference.

Last edited:

Quality doesn't come cheap.
If you go to one of the large supply companies you'll get quality. Walton's, Butcher & Packer, The Sausage Maker and Syracuse Casings are who I have used.

You might find that the bag you have will contain odd length pieces, varying in diameter which will work, but you'll be much happier when you start using quality casings.
A hank of 32-35's will case 125 pounds of sausage. Store in the frig packed in salt, then take out what you need each time you need some. they will last a year or two easy.

As far as the video goes, I'd go a couple hours minimum when soaking them, a half hour seems short to me. I usually rinse them the night before and refig them in the water overnight.
A lot of people use vinegar, I'm not really sold on the idea, I've tried it a few times and can't say I noticed a difference.
Like Dan said, those casings are going to be bits and pieces..... Soak, soak and soak some more

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159729/how-to-handle-natural-casings

Joe

Oh.. And in the video do NOT turn the faucet on and run it into the bowl of casings.. it will tangle and knot the casings something aweful. remove the casings and replace the water then place the casings back into the water

hope this helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky