Storing Freshly Butchered Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
Assuming the beef I buy at the butcher’s shop was cut the day or night before, how long can I safely keep it in the refrigerator without freezing? I am very conservative about this, but it can cause timing issues when smoking for guests.

No specific answer for you, but vacuum sealed with no air will be longer than loose package wrapped. Depends on refrigeration temperature also.

Reactions: DougE
When I worked in the meat department for Winn Dixie way back in the day, steaks got 2 days in the counter and then the price was reduced for 1 day after which they were tossed. Hamburger was 1 day and reduced for a day then tossed. Roasts were 2 days and then were ground up in the hamburger. Most of this was an appearance thing as they wanted meat in the counter that looked fresh and appealing. My rule of thumb for myself for meat that's not vacuum sealed is no more than 7 days in refrigeration unless I'm doing a dry/wet aging project. Then it's either cooked or vacuum sealed and frozen...

Reactions: OldSmoke
If your talking steaks, roast and they were cut pretty fresh I think 5 days would be max unless they are vacuumed sealed then you would get longer. they may discolored a bit but they'll be fine ground meat I wouldn't for more then 2. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: OldSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky