Stop smoke and just cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dsloms

Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Hello. I have a new pellet smoker. Quick question on usage. I want to just add smoke to my meat for 3-4 hours then turn off the smoke and just cook it low and slow. Doing a pork shoulder. How is this accomplished with a pellet smoker/grill? Is there a way to stop the smoke and just cook?

there is not a way to stop the smoke, you pretty much don't have to worry about too much smoke, the lower the temp the more smoke you will have, the pellets provide the heat and the smoke, only option is the oven.

Pretty much what mike said. I recently picked up a pellet popper (Traeger 780 pro) and haven’t been very happy with it. It is easy to use can’t get much easier. However with pellets being the fuel for them you can’t really take smoke “flavor” if that’s what you want to call it from them away. You can only try to add more with a tray

Why do you want to stop the smoke? The Traegar will smoke the entire time but it certainly won’t over smoke the meat

Not sure how or why but my CampChef pelleter smokes more at low temp that at high temp.
So I start on low smoke setting for three or four hours and then turn it to high/er (temp) smoke setting.
I gave up on low and slow cooking, it just takes too long and I refuse to get up at 4:AM or stay up till midnight to cook a butt or brisket.
I'm firmly in the hot and fast camp now and enjoy my rack time AND better tasting meat too.
So goodby to 225 and hello to 350.

Reactions: phanman
Not sure how or why but my CampChef pelleter smokes more at low temp that at high temp.
That's exactly what it's supposed to do. Lower temp = more smoldering pellets/more smoke. Higher temp = more heat and pellets are burned more efficiently, therefore less smoke.
I want to just add smoke to my meat for 3-4 hours then turn off the smoke and just cook it low and slow
The best way I can think of to accomplish what you want is to set your temp for whatever you like and use a smoke tube for a few hours with whatever wood you want the flavor from (hickory, cherry, etc.) Use a very mild wood like oak or alder in the hopper for your fuel. You'll get very little smokiness from the mild wood to continue your cook. Just take a pair of tongs or pliers and remove the very hot smoke tube after however long it is that you want to apply your "flavor" wood.

That is the big problem with pellet smokers, they don’t give that smoke flavor that everybody is looking for. Especially on a long smoke, cause when you turn the heat up you loose the smoke. It’s a issue over convenience & good smoke flavor. When I want the best tasting meat I use my Lang, but many times I’m in a hurry & the Smoke Vault covers that. If it’s an overnight smoke then I use my WSM/Guru setup.
There seems to be only one smoker that really satisfies all the boxes but one & that is the new MB gravity smoker. But it still will not give you the flavor of a offset burning all wood. You will end up like the rest of us with multiple smokers & grills. Hope you have a lot of room & an understanding wife.
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
there is not a way to stop the smoke, you pretty much don't have to worry about too much smoke, the lower the temp the more smoke you will have, the pellets provide the heat and the smoke, only option is the oven.
yeah this

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky