Stocked on Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I got the chance to smoke a lot of cheese during the looonnggg winter. 30lbs to be exact.

Here’s hoping the winter is over and the cheese lasts through Spring and Summer.

I smoked multiple varieties over the course of 4 smoke seesions.

Some pics:
9CC968D9-1F45-4B09-B6F0-0D2B168D72C1.jpeg

515488EE-306E-4E89-9003-499B91FD4C35.jpeg

80DDF0EA-D729-41F1-B54D-FA69D03E6B40.jpeg

73597105-D1FC-4C6D-84F1-D735AB631E8E.jpeg

So do I have a beer fridge or a cheese fridge? It’s hard to say. I tell my wife it’s my “hobby fridge.”

The cheese was smoked for 4 hours. I have the 12” A-maze-n tube smoker, so I just fill with pellets and that gets me 4hrs. I used Pitmaster’s choice, Pecan and a mix of Pecan/Maple. I try to keep a variety of cheese/smoke combinations on hand.

Thanks for Looking.

Last edited:
Joe you have enough Cheese for a while but only a days supply of Beer LOL
Looks good I didn't get to much cheese done this winter.
Getting hit with another storm now Snowing hard here
Richie

Lol thanks! I had to drink the beer to make room for the cheese. But don’t worry, I have a 12 pack sitting outside waiting it’s turn.

Yeah, hopefully this is the last storm of the year. We’re in the 4-8” range (I get the higher amount due to my elevation)...If we get another storm, I may have to do another batch.

Your cheese looks awesome! Great color! What kind is your favorite? I've got 20 blocks in my beer fridge right now but looking like I need to do some more before it gets warm and would like to try some different kinds.

And I agree with tropics you better start eating some of that up so you can make room for more beer!

I am in the process of taking down my old tin shed,to put up a newer plastic one.Smokers are blocked in I hope I can get the new shed up before next week.
Richie

Your cheese looks awesome! Great color! What kind is your favorite? I've got 20 blocks in my beer fridge right now but looking like I need to do some more before it gets warm and would like to try some different kinds.

And I agree with tropics you better start eating some of that up so you can make room for more beer!

Our favorite is definitely the Extra Sharp White Cheddar.

I usually try to include a block or two of that for each time I smoke a batch. I sampled both of the first two batches I made in January. The Pitmaster’s choice pellets and the Pecan were very good!

I smoked a 5lb block of Copper Sharp for the first time using Pecan. That came out awesome! I’m thinking of using some for homemade mac n cheese.

I am in the process of taking down my old tin shed,to put up a newer plastic one.Smokers are blocked in I hope I can get the new shed up before next week.
Richie

You mean the first 3 nor’easters didn’t take that old tin shed down for you!?

Hopefully you get the new shed up and the smokers up and running soon. I’m hearing it might be in the 50s next week.

You mean the first 3 nor’easters didn’t take that old tin shed down for you!?

Hopefully you get the new shed up and the smokers up and running soon. I’m hearing it might be in the 50s next week.
Going to need that I have a Ham Curing & it has to get smoked
Richie

Nice looking stash of cheese. Good color also. Still a little chilly here to do any cheese so I'm still living off my past smokes. The Nor-easter is suppose to miss us this time around.

Chris

Nice looking stash of cheese. Good color also. Still a little chilly here to do any cheese so I'm still living off my past smokes. The Nor-easter is suppose to miss us this time around.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I usually try to smoke my cheese around 30-40 outside temperature without rain or snow. The pellet tube adds around 20 extra degrees to my smoker.

Not sure if you guys have Publix there or if the sale is the same but they have Cabot cheese blocks buy one get one free right now so comes out to $2.14 a block. I picked up about 10 blocks of the hot habanero yesterday and going back today to stock up on some others!

I thinks it Price Chopper here that advertised Cabot cheese 1.99 a block starting Sunday over my way.

Chris

Not sure if you guys have Publix there or if the sale is the same but they have Cabot cheese blocks buy one get one free right now so comes out to $2.14 a block. I picked up about 10 blocks of the hot habanero yesterday and going back today to stock up on some others!

I thinks it Price Chopper here that advertised Cabot cheese 1.99 a block starting Sunday over my way.

Chris

Cabot is usually on sale for $1.99 for an 8 oz block in my area.

I usually buy the 2lb blocks from Wegmans for $5.99. I cut them into quarters (8oz. each)...that works out to $1.50 each. They have all your basic cheeses. When I want to smoke something fancy, I head over to their cheese shop.

I did smoke 1 lb of Cabot’s horseradish cheddar!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nice looking cheese!! It reminds me I need to smoke some cheese while I still have cool (cold) temps.

link

Cabot is usually on sale for $1.99 for an 8 oz block in my area.

I usually buy the 2lb blocks from Wegmans for $5.99. I cut them into quarters (8oz. each)...that works out to $1.50 each. They have all your basic cheeses. When I want to smoke something fancy, I head over to their cheese shop.

I did smoke 1 lb of Cabot’s horseradish cheddar!

We don't have a Wegman's here. And Cabot is usually $3-4 a block. I guess being in the south Cabot is a specialty thing haha. I am doing another cheese smoke this weekend might head over to costco and see what they got in bulk.

And I've heard nothing but great things about the horseradish cheddar going to try to get some!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky