Still having trouble with smoke not sticking to casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ricky McLaughlin

Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Why is the smoke not going onto my casings? I let them dry 36 hrs in refrigerator. Then let them set on the table for 3 hours. Then in the smoker with the door cracked for 2 hours at 120°. Raised temp to 130° for another hour. Surely they are dry by now...nope. Anyhow, turned to 140° put in chips in mes cold smoker. Let smoke and cook at 140° 5 hours. Looked at sausages no smoke on them. Turned temp up to finish them off, but they are pretty much the same color coming out as they were going in. Any suggestions?

Are the casings changing to a reddish color?
You should be bumping the temp up 10 degrees every hour, until you reach 170 degrees, instead of leaving it at 140.
You don't have any water in the water pan do you?
I really can't think of any other reason, but maybe one of the sausage guru's will be along with a better answer.
Al

Leave the door closed, open vent 1/2. Start at 130* then 10* to 170*. What are you making? fresh or smoked sausage.
Water is not really needed in the chips, at 140* open vent full

Are the casings changing to a reddish color?
You should be bumping the temp up 10 degrees every hour, until you reach 170 degrees, instead of leaving it at 140.
You don't have any water in the water pan do you?
I really can't think of any other reason, but maybe one of the sausage guru's will be along with a better answer.
Al
No water in pan. I was a bit lax on the bumping of the temp to 140. Casings wete pretty much the same color as when they went in. I kept watching for the casings to dry but they never did.

No water in pan. I was a bit lax on the bumping of the temp to 140. Casings wete pretty much the same color as when they went in. I kept watching for the casings to dry but they never did.

But did you leave the temp at 140 or did you continue to increase it to 170?
Al

I'm sorry I really don't have an answer, it seems like you did everything that you should have done.
I'm assuming that you had smoke rolling all the time after the first hour or so.
Al

I'm sorry I really don't have an answer, it seems like you did everything that you should have done.
I'm assuming that you had smoke rolling all the time after the first hour or so.
Al
Yep. I might have had it over loaded a bit. I was going to use 2 smokers, but the second one crapped out on me. Just have to do better next time.

mine always change color around the 120 degree mark ,i agree i think you might have over loaded your smoker i make sure my sausage don't touch ..other than that i am clueless

mine always change color around the 120 degree mark ,i agree i think you might have over loaded your smoker i make sure my sausage don't touch ..other than that i am clueless
I usually don't let them touch. Should have just put 1/2 back in refrigerator and done them later. Ah well, live and learn.

Do they taste smokey? The taste to me is more important then the look. It can look like a hot mess, but hey if it's good to eat..

Yeah, they are pretty good. They are just ugly...lol
I will show you my first <and only attempt so far> and uncased snack sticks...which we called dog logs..

Attachments

• DogLogsMay22nd.jpg
    DogLogsMay22nd.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 18
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky